• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help picking out card for brother

brewcrew814

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 27, 2005
Messages
134
Hello all,
I'm looking at upgrades for my brothers comp and hoped I could get some help picking one out for him :)
He's limited to an AGP card which stinks. I'm trying to find something around the 150USD range for him.
His card now is a ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB card.
I was looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121206

The core clock speed on the upgrade card is slower than the Radeon 9600, but the Pipelines are effectively double that of the Radeon. I was wondering if he would notice a significant difference if he were to go this route? He's got a GIG of RAM in the comp already and Plays FPS's like JointOps, CS and hopefully BF2.
Thanks In Advance for Your Repsonses :D
 
he should see a big differnce my buddy went from a 9600XT --> 6800 128mb AGP
He noticed a huge differnce in the few games he plays (CSS , BF2)
 
What is the processor and chipset/motherboard of his system?

To answer your question, it is a worthy upgrade from his current video card.


To maximize your video upgrade, I suggest you look over the offerings posted in the FS forum. Granted they do not come with a manufacture's warranty, but you will get roughly one and a half time the performance compared to the retail product.
 
setscrew said:
What is the processor and chipset/motherboard of his system?

To answer your question, it is a worthy upgrade from his current video card.


To maximize your video upgrade, I suggest you look over the offerings posted in the FS forum. Granted they do not come with a manufacture's warranty, but you will get roughly one and a half time the performance compared to the retail product.

Thanks for the replys so far :)
His specs are: <Pulled from Everest> Also, he's not big into OC'ing or Modding. I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible for him ;)

AMD Athlon XP 3000+
Motherboard Name: Asus A7V8X-LA (Kamet2)
Motherboard Chipset: VIA VT8378 UniChrome KM400
1024 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM) only 2 DIMM slots, eventually will put in 2X 1Gig chips

I'm just hoping he doesn't have to worry about a heating issue since this was a store bought comp. Eventually when he's ready I'm going to help him just build a gaming rig for him and my nephews.
 
Back
Top