Help picking out card for brother

brewcrew814

Limp Gawd
Hello all,
I'm looking at upgrades for my brothers comp and hoped I could get some help picking one out for him :)
He's limited to an AGP card which stinks. I'm trying to find something around the 150USD range for him.
His card now is a ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB card.
I was looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121206

The core clock speed on the upgrade card is slower than the Radeon 9600, but the Pipelines are effectively double that of the Radeon. I was wondering if he would notice a significant difference if he were to go this route? He's got a GIG of RAM in the comp already and Plays FPS's like JointOps, CS and hopefully BF2.
Thanks In Advance for Your Repsonses :D

he should see a big differnce my buddy went from a 9600XT --> 6800 128mb AGP
He noticed a huge differnce in the few games he plays (CSS , BF2)

What is the processor and chipset/motherboard of his system?

To answer your question, it is a worthy upgrade from his current video card.

To maximize your video upgrade, I suggest you look over the offerings posted in the FS forum. Granted they do not come with a manufacture's warranty, but you will get roughly one and a half time the performance compared to the retail product.

setscrew said:
What is the processor and chipset/motherboard of his system?

To answer your question, it is a worthy upgrade from his current video card.

To maximize your video upgrade, I suggest you look over the offerings posted in the FS forum. Granted they do not come with a manufacture's warranty, but you will get roughly one and a half time the performance compared to the retail product.

Thanks for the replys so far :)
His specs are: <Pulled from Everest> Also, he's not big into OC'ing or Modding. I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible for him ;)

AMD Athlon XP 3000+
Motherboard Name: Asus A7V8X-LA (Kamet2)
Motherboard Chipset: VIA VT8378 UniChrome KM400
1024 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM) only 2 DIMM slots, eventually will put in 2X 1Gig chips

I'm just hoping he doesn't have to worry about a heating issue since this was a store bought comp. Eventually when he's ready I'm going to help him just build a gaming rig for him and my nephews.

Back