• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help picking new sound card.

Williamea

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 23, 2004
Messages
142
I have been using on board audio for as long as I can remember but want to make the jump to a dedicated card. I currently have an Asus P67 Pro with Win7 and a 10+ year old set of Cambridge Soundworks speakers.

I did get a XFi Titanium Fatality pro from a friend for free but have yet to install due to some of the horror stories related to the drivers & software.

The last time I bought a card (which was in the 90s) Creative was the only real option. Now there seems to be several. Looking for the best bang for the buck around $100. Gaming would be top priority followed by music and movies. I also switch from speakers to headphones a lot so any convenience there would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance for any options.
 
Yeah, creative...I had an Audigy 2 that died after ten years (fair) and ended up with an Xfi Titanium after searching for alternatives. Only problem was it didn't work and caused my system to blue screen. So I returned it, used onboard audio for another while, then went nuts and decided to try the exact same thing again. Oddly enough the second one has been solid for over a year.

They must have awesome quality control there. When it works, it works great, though.
 
I have been using on board audio for as long as I can remember but want to make the jump to a dedicated card. I currently have an Asus P67 Pro with Win7 and a 10+ year old set of Cambridge Soundworks speakers.

I did get a XFi Titanium Fatality pro from a friend for free but have yet to install due to some of the horror stories related to the drivers & software.

The last time I bought a card (which was in the 90s) Creative was the only real option. Now there seems to be several. Looking for the best bang for the buck around $100. Gaming would be top priority followed by music and movies. I also switch from speakers to headphones a lot so any convenience there would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance for any options.

Sound Blaster Z. And the only thing worse than Creative drivers is Asus drivers so you may not have good success if you use Asus just to spite Creative.
 
I have been using an Asus Xonar Essence STX since last year with the default op-amps. Perhaps one of the best sound cards I have ever owned. Of course, I never cared for anything more than stereo sound anyway. So, if you want something for like 5.1 or 7.1, you should get something else. I have never had a problem with any of the drivers and I am running Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate. Mostly I use my system to listen to music, but I haven't ran into any serious problems with any games that I have played. EAX isn't important to me, but it may be important to you.
 
i have a SB x-fi pci-e x1 never an issue with win 7 64 bit its a good oem card i got from frys for right at 100 bucks. They still have some in white boxes around for 50-70 bucks. Good Luck and Happy Gaming :D
 
Back
Top