• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help picking headphones

NY.Esco

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 2, 2010
Messages
96
i really never owned any of these high end headphones that i've read throughout the forums, I deploy in a couple of months and am looking for a good set that would most likely be used for movies, music, and gaming. I was interested in getting gaming ones at first but realized the only games i can play are single player so i really dont need a microphone. I just want something that i can use that are comfortable, durable and good quality that can help me take it one day at a time for when things get hectic and have some down time for myself. My spending limit is $200 any feedback would be highly appreciated.
 
i really never owned any of these high end headphones that i've read throughout the forums, I deploy in a couple of months and am looking for a good set that would most likely be used for movies, music, and gaming. I was interested in getting gaming ones at first but realized the only games i can play are single player so i really dont need a microphone. I just want something that i can use that are comfortable, durable and good quality that can help me take it one day at a time for when things get hectic and have some down time for myself. My spending limit is $200 any feedback would be highly appreciated.

If you are going somewhere hot, get the Open Audio Technica AD-700 or AD900. If its cool, get some Beyer 770 or 880 32 ohm. Those are some durable, good sounding headphones that have proven themselves over time.
 
I recently picked up the Sennheiser HD-280 PRO headphones. I had a cheap pair of $20 Sony headphones prior to that, and they let too much sound through. With my 280's, little sound gets through, and they're quite comfortable. Audio quality is excellent in my opinion, but I'm not really an audiophile, and don't know what to listen for.

Either way, for $100, I'm quite happy with the 280's.
 
If you are going somewhere hot, get the Open Audio Technica AD-700 or AD900. If its cool, get some Beyer 770 or 880 32 ohm. Those are some durable, good sounding headphones that have proven themselves over time.

Just wanted to mention that the pads on the AD900 are pretty low profile. If you have ears that even mildly stick out, you might find them uncomfortable as they will likely hit the drivers.

Spaceman - do the DT880s get noticeably hotter than the AD900s? They appear to be open/semi-open in design.
 
thanks for the posts, i'm kinda leaning toward the beyer 990 32ohm, but still waiting a bit more for more recommendations.
 
u can check out this site for info/register/post a thread, etc. etc.

just search up head fi ;D
 
Sony MDR-7506's are comfortable, sound good, are very durable and travel well. Since they're pretty much the industry standard for live audio/broadcast use, replacement parts are readily available. I own two pairs, I've had one set for 10+ years.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/49510-REG/Sony_MDR_7506.html


I'll second this. Long time Sony MDR-V6 owner, which are basically identical, and can be had for $70-$80. I doubt anything else under $200 will exceed the sound quality.
 
I have the DT990 600 OHM version and they are amazing.Really comfortable and really good all around headphones.Great for music and gaming.
 
I have the DT990 600 OHM version and they are amazing.Really comfortable and really good all around headphones.Great for music and gaming.

Keep in mind that 600 ohm Beyers want a good amp to let them shine and that will easily drive the price over the OP's budget.
 
I've heard a friend's Sennheiser HD595s and thought they were pretty impressive. Might not be super durable, but certainly no less so than the ATH recommendations.
 
Keep in mind that 600 ohm Beyers want a good amp to let them shine and that will easily drive the price over the OP's budget.
Actually a good CMOY amp is powering them.Though it might not be bringing out the full potential of them they still sound awesome.Though even with the cmoy it will put him over budget.Guess the 250 Ohm version would be worth a try.I would avoid the 32 ohm versions.
 
How are the AD-700's w/out an amp. I'm looking for a comfortable set of open un-amped headphones.
 
AD700s don't benefit much from amping, but a good source. They'll sound good plugged into just about anything, but if you listen to bass-heavy music then they aren't really for you.
 
You are in the military, right? Can you shop at aafes.com? I read that they usually have great prices on laptops and many other electronics.

They had a Bose QC15 on sale for $225 - 10% code ( x364PFS ) = $202.50.
But it is only good on 12/20/2010.
 
Bose headphones, much like Bose speakers, are never the best you can do for the money. Never.
 
How come? What is wrong with Bose's stuff??? :confused:

Generally Bose is a bad value for money. The only place where the QC series excel is on airplanes where the active noise canceling would be useful.
 
Agree with 450 there.
The problem with Bose is you have to spend a lot of money to get the quality. Their cheap products are generally rubbish and very bad quality for the amount you're paying.
 
Generally Bose is a bad value for money. The only place where the QC series excel is on airplanes where the active noise canceling would be useful.

I see. Well, I've learned something new today. :)
 
I haven't used the Audio Technica's on an airplane, but the QC2's were fantastic in that setting. Overpriced - perhaps, but not necessarily crap.
 
well i could up my limit to $350 but anything over that makes it hard to justify to my wife. as for adding an amp what would you recommend because i have an idea what an amp does just don't know how to differentiate between them all.
 
well i could up my limit to $350 but anything over that makes it hard to justify to my wife. as for adding an amp what would you recommend because i have an idea what an amp does just don't know how to differentiate between them all.

Well, since I have owned almost every major headphone ever made, seriously, I would say, if I were you, that the Beyer 880 would be your best all around best headphone in that price range. However you would need an amp to really get the most out of them.

So, what else? Easy, Denon D2000. Done.

Get them at buy dot com. $229 atm. Lowest price I could find.

http://www.buy.com/prod/denon-ah-d2...00/q/sellerid/29460652/loc/101/206928680.html
 
Back
Top