Help picking components for custom wooden cased SFF

Chefskinny

n00b
Hi there, Been years since I've been on Hardforums, can't even remember my old login. I'm a furniture designer / woodworker by trade and want to build a SMALL aesthetically pleasing wooden case for this SFF. I would like it to be very quiet, silent would be preferred.

I've been away from the computer world for a while, but think I do want a mini-itx for both size and power consumption.

Thanks in advance, I'll be sure to create a build thread showing the case as it comes together, looking forward to getting rolling on the case, but obviously will need to purchase the components first to build case to size of components.

1. What will you be doing with this PC?

---Web Browsing, music, very light gaming (sc2, bf3, diablo 3, LoL)

2. Will you be overclocking?

---Doesn't really matter to me.

3. What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included in this budget? Is your budget flexible? Is cost a driving factor in component selection?

---I would like to try and do this for $400 for the components, not including the case which I will be building.

4. Where do you live? Do you have any big B&M (brick and mortar) computer chains nearby (e.g. Microcenter, Fry's, etc)?

----Toronto, Canada. No huge computer chains really.

5. What exact parts do you need for that budget?

---Power supply (picosupply?), Motherboard, CPU, SSD HD, Ram, DVD Drive, Will I need a Video card? I don't need to run anything at full graphics.

6. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. For reused parts, list brands, model #s, and, if applicable, firmware revisions.

---None

7. What specific features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc. Which is more important, size of the system or having the particular feature? Make sure you indicate *required* vs. *wanted* for each feature you list.

---USB 3.0, SATA 6gb/s would be nice, WIFI would be nice also. Size / noise are most important.

8. What resolution output do you need? 1080p, 720p, DVD quality, etc for HTPC or list Vertical/horizontal resolution for non-HTPC SFF rigs. Do you need multiple monitor output?

---1920x1200

9. Does this system need to fit into a particular space and do you need an optical drive? Think entertainment center shelves, closet space, rackmount, etc. Many modern SFF cases have either removed the optical drive or have been constructed so that removing the ODD increases the configuration possibilities immensely.

---Would like to have a DVD drive

10. How comfortable are you with custom case design/modification and electrical wiring? What tools do you have (Screwdrivers/Leatherman, Drill, Dremel, Metal snips, Soldering Iron, Bending Brake, CNC/Welding machines/Plasma cutter, etc...)?

---I will be custom building a solid wood, walnut case for this.

11. How important is the noise/silence of this sytem? HTPCs typically want to be quiet while all-out SFF gaming rigs don't care

---Utmost importance, don't want to here this if possible.

12. How mobile does this system need to be? Need a carrying handle or carrying straps? Is weight important (carry-on bag, etc)? Water cooling quick disconnects, etc?

---Will be parked on desk, but want it small for aesthetics

13. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? Remember that OEM copies of Win7 have issues with new motherboards

---Have a oem copy of windows 7, cant remember 32 or 64 off the top of my head.

14. When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Immediately, in a couple weeks, 3-5 years?

---Immediately.

After some more research I think i've narrowed it down some, and decided to go with an external DVD drive to help keep size down.

Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI
Intel i3 3225
Mushkin Chronos 60GB SATA 6Gb/s

Still not sure what to do about a power supply / ram yet

Personally, I think that an external DVD drive is definitely the way to go unless you are playing a lot of blurays on it or something. I never use DVD drives outside of the initial operating system installation. Even then, I tend to use a 5.25" internal from an extra computer wired into an open case, then disconnect it and close the case up once I'm done - I'm unwilling to spend the money on an external drive I'll use once and then have it gather dust. That's just my personal take, though, your mileage will likely vary.

RAM you can chuck pretty much anything in there and it won't make much of a difference. Just get whatever is the cheapest you can find. 4 gigs should be fine.

I'm not overly familiar with Gigabyte's motherboard models, but in general unless you are doing overclocking the Z77 chipset boards are overkill. There should be a cheaper H77 model available with similar features.

If you get an asrock z77 itx board you can underclock that i3. I have mine running @ .900 volts in my HTPC. It uses the same amount of power as my 35 watt i3-2120T. These ivy bridge chips are awesome.

Edit: I meant undervolt, not underclock.

Last edited:
Back