• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help Picking a 27' LCD

Joined
Jun 3, 2010
Messages
6
Well, I've spend the better part of a week reading reviews, explanations, and spec sheets of countless LCD monitors that I am honestly even less sure of what I should get at this point. I am hoping someone here can help me narrow down my focus for what tech or simply what monitor I should buy.

I've owned a lot of TN screens over the years as I game a lot, but with all the changes to the newer IPS/PVA screens that it has made me wonder if its worth getting a newer IPS/PVA monitor over a TN.

Money is not a huge concern, this is going to be a bit of a indulgence that I've been saving for. I don't need 3D support, but I have no issue with or without 120hz. The monitor will be primarily for gaming and no real focus on what kind (I will be playing anything from an FPS to a Slow Simulation game). I would love to have the wonderful color reproduction and viewing angles of the IPS/PVA, but the reviews have been mixed and very general about how well they really do work for some of the faster games. I would like to stick with 1920x1080, but if there is a LCD that is truely the better choice, I could live with bumping up to 2560x1440.

I am hoping to get both recommendations for what panel type and any kind of suggestion on what LCD you'd also suggest specifically.

After all this research, I've mostly been left in a daze, thinking "so... many choices..." Hopefully people here on the forum can help me narrow my search down by quite a bit.
Thank you all in advance!
 
Last edited:
Well, welcome to my problem. Ideally, you would want the following:
- IPS period. The colors and image quality are too good to pass up. The viewing angle is personal preference but I wouldn't live with anything less.
- 1440p on 27 inch since that would be optimal native resolution for that monitor size. Similarly to how 1080p is for 23/24 inch.
- Fast response rate/Less ghosting/blurring which is slightly an issue with IPS but is improving. Honestly, I had a U2410 for over two years and it isn't something I think about day to day.
- 120Hz! Seriously, 3D is a gimmick but when you shell out that amount of money to get a new monitor, you want it to have all the gimmicks you can get.

Such a monitor does not exist unless you overclock a korean one and that has its own risks.

One important thing to consider is the possibility of full LED monitors showing up on the market. I read/hear that they would destroy the current generation of IPS/TN LED backlit LCDs. Or maybe I got my facts wrong since honestly, it is very hard to know the absolute fact about this aspect.
 
I figured it was a partialy "impossible mission" I am still hoping to get some comments and suggestions from others based on the monitors they have personally tried at this point so hopefully that can properly sway me in one direction or another heh.
 
...
One important thing to consider is the possibility of full LED monitors showing up on the market. I read/hear that they would destroy the current generation of IPS/TN LED backlit LCDs. Or maybe I got my facts wrong since honestly, it is very hard to know the absolute fact about this aspect.

Look up sony led crystal. It's a completely led with each sub puxel being 3 small leds. Has the potential to be motion blur free and have huge contrast ratios.
 
Back
Top