• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HELP! Pc problem

gamezaddic

n00b
Joined
Oct 8, 2007
Messages
53
Hey hardforum.


I Would appreciate any help.

When I power on my pc it always shuts off before getting into windows.
It goes as far as reaching the Windows Loading screen or to the screen where it says windows did not shut down properly and asks if I want to boot in safe mode or regularly. No matter what I choose it will turn off before actually getting into windows. When I try to access the bios screen as soon as I click delete to get in there it shuts off. When I turn on the pc my hdd led lights up but im not sure if the hdd led is suppose to stay on or if it's just suppose to light up on post.

Initially I thought it was the motherboard so I replaced it and still have the same issue. I tested the videocard in another PC and it's fine.

I ran the computer with only the Video card, Processor,hard drive, and ram.

I have a gigabyte ds-3 mobo, e6400 processor, 2gb memory, antec 550w psu, sata hd.
 
First, please be more specific with your system specifications. Which DS3 motherboard? Which 2GB memory? Which Antec 550W PSU? (And so on, and so on....)

Second, how long have you have your parts (particularly the power supply)?
 
its the harddrive

same thing happened to me when I placed it on rubber bands to reduce noise.

the hard drive is crashed, its tryin to boot up the OS files but it cant

so just replace the HDD and you're all set
 
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P965-DS3 Rev 1.0
Ram - Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel
Psu - Antec NeoPower 550w ATX12V
Hard drive - WD Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA

I had each part for about 1 year and 10 months.

Aww man that would suck so much if it's the harddrive. If it turns out that the hard drive is crashed or dead would there be any way to retrieve the data off it and transfer it to another hard drive?

If i decide to take it to a professional how much would that cost?
 
Depending on the condition the hard drive is in, you could easily extract the old data yourself. There's also the possibility that, since you barely get past the POST screen before crashing, the power supply may be bad.
 
Hey hardforum.

When I try to access the bios screen as soon as I click delete to get in there it shuts off.

This sounds like power supply or the system is overheating. If another power supply does not fix the problem. Blow out any dust build up in the cpu fan and make sure it is mounted properly. If you can get into the bios, check your temps.
 
Ok thanks for the advice guys, I will buy a replacement psu and see what happens from there. I will reseat the cpu and buy some thermal grease.

Today I turned my pc on and it got as far as reaching the windows screen and being able to see my desktop before shutting off. jeez my computer must be a high maintence female taking me for a ride on tease mountain.

I waited awhile turned it on again and tried to get into the bios to maybe shed some light on the issue and was able to see the bios menu but shut off again after I could reach anything relevant.
 
Alright I found out what the issue was, Cpuman was right it was an overheating issue. There wasn't much thermal paste left on the processor. So I put some artic grease on it and it booted up perfectly. My baby's back!!!

Ughhh, my stomach hurts, I think im suffering from seperation anxiety.. :p



Issue solved.
 
Back
Top