HELP, P55 FTW refuses to Boot/Boot loops.

Rev3rEND

n00b
Had a P55 FTW for 3 years running without issue. One day, it shuts down and begins boot looping:
1/2 second power on, shuts off for 3 seconds, 1/2 second power on, off 3 seconds, rinse repeat to infinity.
These are the things I have tried to get it to boot.
Removed all cards/peripherals. Only CPU,RAM,Heatsink remain.
Different CPU
2 different brands of RAM, in 1 stick, 2 sticks, 4 stick configurations in every possible combination.
4 different, known working power supplies. With and without 12V1/12V2/Aux power/20-pin/24-pin, etc etc.
3 different power cords
different wall outlet.
different surge protector. (without surge protector, too.)
and finally. 3 different P55 FTW boards. I RMA'd 2 different times. I realize I'm just getting refurbs back and who knows if they've actually been tested, but could I really be getting 2 boards that are doing the same thing?
Also, this is inside case, outside of case on cardboard, checked that nothing was grounding out anywhere. Nothing works.

The only thing that is staying the same from the original computer setup to any of these is the RAM and heatsink. And I honestly don't see those causing the computer to not even show any POST code at all. I've had RAM issues and it at least shows a POST error.

So, I'm begging anyone here who might know something else I haven't tried (or forgot to note.) I'm at the end of my rope, not just for this setup, but computers in general. I've kind of burnt out of it all at this point...

Here is a list of the hardware I've tried.
CPU's = i7 850, i7 860
RAM = Patriot G2 16GB 2x8. Corsair Dominator 8GB 2x4
Power Supplies = Corsair H1000, RocketFish 900w, Topower 650w, RAIDmax 500w

I get the last 3 PSU's aren't Top tier, but the Corsair is.

I've been building PC's for 15 years and I honestly have no idea why it won't work. My only idea is that EVGA keeps sending me dead boards.

Last edited:
How do I do that if it won't stay on long enough to even go to the BIOS? You didn't even read the OP, did you? :(

Sorry man, I just assumed things. Have you tried the EVGA forums?

I don't know if it matters but what slots are you putting the different ram in?

Every slot. single sticks and combinations of the 2 brands. The only things I can think of is they sent me yet another bum board or is the 2 different CPU's.

I need a different 1156 board to test that theory though :confused:
Those are the only wild cards where I am not 100% sure they are not at fault.

I have a feeling that EVGA keeps sending me shitty boards though...

Did you rremove the CMOS battery and reboot it again? Incompatible ram might cause problem rebooting as it happened to me when I using Corsair Dominator GT

No change. I think I need to find another 1156 board to test the chips on. That alone will tell me that it is the motherboard or not. If the CPU's are working, which I'm sure they are but can't prove, then it means EVGA keeps shipping me broken crap. :mad:

I'm hoping a local computer repair shop can help me out. I can't afford to buy another board and just want them to test the chips for me. I'm hoping.

The one time I had this problem it turned out to be the RAM. Fortunately I kept the speaker out of an old case so I could listen to the beeps. I looked up the beep codes and it pointed me to the RAM as the problem. I'm not familiar with your MB so I don't even know if this is possible.

Disconnect HDD, keyboard and mouse (webcam...etc) and try to boot. Inspect MOLEX connector on your motherboard too.

..,.I swear, nobody actually READS the OP. :rolleyes:

there are NO HDD,KEYBOARDS, WEBCAMS, BLENDERS, USB POWERED VIBRATORS HOOKED UP!

The ONLY thing plugged into the MOTHERBOARD is the CPU, HEATSINK, RAM, POWER.

Oh, I am sorry! You can try to inspect capacitors. I know they are solid but it smells like broken capacitor(s).

EVGA "assured" me the board that I sent back, but also the ones that they sent powered on fine. I call bullshit.

But, I did a quick look over and didn't see anything. Doesn't mean I didn't miss a bulging cap...

It's out of my hands right now. I took it into a local Comp-shop who said they would test the CPU's, RAM and motherboard all independently.

I'm sure they will say all but the board is fine... That is my assumption.

Back