Help, P4 2.4C slacking off on its overclock

DieLate

Limp Gawd
Well, I've searched all over and can't seem to figure this out so I'm starting a thread. Computer specs at the bottom of post.

I put this computer together about a year ago now. After I had everything up and running fine, I bumped the CPU:FSB ratio up to 5:4 at the default 200MHz (quad pumped) FSB. This had me running it at 3.0GHz. I then overclocked the memory just a little and had the CPU at 3.14GHz (pi, not on purpose).

I left it like this for a good 6-8 months. Never any problems. In the summer while gaming, the hottest the CPU ever got was 53 degrees. Never any crashes, everything was perfect. Then I bought a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160GB SATA HD, and had a hell of a time getting it to work. I finally worked after turning off the SATA RAID in the BIOS, and making sure it was plugged into SATA1 port.

However, while trying to get the HD to show up, I turned everything in the BIOS back to what it came like.

I haven't been able to overclock since. I haven't tried more than a few minutes at a time the last couple months, until today, where I spent about an hour trying everything. If I switch the CPU:FSB ratio to 5:4 while keeping the RAM at 200MHz, it gives the "System failed due to CPU overclocking" voice message. If I keep the ratio 1:1 and overclock the RAM more than 10MHz, I get this too.

The Vcore is currently at 1.525. However, I tried everything all the way up to 1.6 without success. I've tried all sorts of options in the BIOS (Turbo On/Off/Auto, PAT On/Auto, etc). Nothing changes this at all. I've changed the RAM timings a hundred times. Everything from 2-2-2-5 to 3-5-5-8. No difference.

The only thing I can think of is if the SATA HD is somehow messing up my overclock? Nothing in the system has changed since then. It's not a matter of heat, as even with a 1.6 Vcore, I was still getting around 38 idle / 51 load. Originally I had the Vcore on auto.

I really want my 3GHz back, and I'm out of ideas. Please help!

P4 2.4C (Zalman CNPS 7000AlCu @ max fan speed)
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (passive NB heatsink, but the Zalman blows on it keeping it at 33 degrees)
Mushkin Black Level 2 PC-3500 (2x512) Current Timings: 2-2-2-5
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro (124MB/256bit) (stock cooling)Help

I forget where I saw it but there is an issue with SATA drives and being able to OC on certain setups. Sorry I don't have more info but if you search around I'm sure you'll find something. I bet if you disconnected you hd you'd get you OC back.

Sounds like you could have a power supply issue. Are you using a quality PSU? Is it rated high enough to handle your components?

due you have your pci/agp speeds fixed at 33/66? and also are there any bios updates to fix any sata controller problems?

I have a very high quality PSU. Enermax EG465AX-VE(W). It's rated at 430, but puts out closer to 460 (or so I hear). Plus, this setup isn't that power hungry...I have a CD-RW and a DVD-ROM, along with the SATA HD and 1 PATA HD. Two case fans (removed the third as it was filling the HSF/mobo with dust). I really doubt that's the problem.

I haven't updated the BIOS yet. Still on the one it shipped with (1009). I may try that, but the reason I haven't is I'm afraid. :p

I've never updated a BIOS in my life.

I'll unplug the S-ATA HD and see what that gets me. I may also unplug the optical drives and see if that makes a difference too, though like I said, I don't think the PSU is a problem.

Edit:
Oh yeah, the PCI/AGP locks are set to 33/66.

I have a similar setup and did the v-droop mod and the vmem mods. do a search on xtremesystems.org and you can find out how to do them.
hope this helps.
DieLate said:
Well, I've searched all over and can't seem to figure this out so I'm starting a thread. Computer specs at the bottom of post.

I put this computer together about a year ago now. After I had everything up and running fine, I bumped the CPU:FSB ratio up to 5:4 at the default 200MHz (quad pumped) FSB. This had me running it at 3.0GHz. I then overclocked the memory just a little and had the CPU at 3.14GHz (pi, not on purpose).

I left it like this for a good 6-8 months. Never any problems. In the summer while gaming, the hottest the CPU ever got was 53 degrees. Never any crashes, everything was perfect. Then I bought a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160GB SATA HD, and had a hell of a time getting it to work. I finally worked after turning off the SATA RAID in the BIOS, and making sure it was plugged into SATA1 port.

However, while trying to get the HD to show up, I turned everything in the BIOS back to what it came like.

I haven't been able to overclock since. I haven't tried more than a few minutes at a time the last couple months, until today, where I spent about an hour trying everything. If I switch the CPU:FSB ratio to 5:4 while keeping the RAM at 200MHz, it gives the "System failed due to CPU overclocking" voice message. If I keep the ratio 1:1 and overclock the RAM more than 10MHz, I get this too.

The Vcore is currently at 1.525. However, I tried everything all the way up to 1.6 without success. I've tried all sorts of options in the BIOS (Turbo On/Off/Auto, PAT On/Auto, etc). Nothing changes this at all. I've changed the RAM timings a hundred times. Everything from 2-2-2-5 to 3-5-5-8. No difference.

The only thing I can think of is if the SATA HD is somehow messing up my overclock? Nothing in the system has changed since then. It's not a matter of heat, as even with a 1.6 Vcore, I was still getting around 38 idle / 51 load. Originally I had the Vcore on auto.

I really want my 3GHz back, and I'm out of ideas. Please help!

P4 2.4C (Zalman CNPS 7000AlCu @ max fan speed)
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (passive NB heatsink, but the Zalman blows on it keeping it at 33 degrees)
Mushkin Black Level 2 PC-3500 (2x512) Current Timings: 2-2-2-5
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro (124MB/256bit) (stock cooling)Help

Back