Help overclocking X6 1055T on mATX board

CIB24

Limp Gawd
Hello all,

I have a 1055T and an ASUS M4A88TD-M EVO motherboard and I am trying to get higher clocks out of my CPU but I'm struggling. I used to have the MSI 890GXM-G65 but the VRM's quickly took a dump and thus I ended up with this ASUS which has thermal temperature and voltage protection.

I am able to overclock my CPU to 3.55ghz stable at the stock voltage of 1.375-1.38 volts. I am also able to stress test the CPU at 3.7-3.8ghz with 1.4-1.45 volts, but only for 30-40 minutes before the thermal/voltage protection kicks in and downclocks my multiplier to 11.5x from 14x. I can also boot up to 4.0ghz no problem at 1.5v but stress testing will just downclock the multiplier nearly immediately to 11.5x.

Thus, I very rarely get the blue screen of death but the processor won't stay pegged at max speed for any length of time in OCCT despite the fact that my temps never run over 60-62 with the H70 in a small Inwin Dragon Slayer case.

I understand that the power phase on this motherboard is 4+1 and the VRMs do not have heatsinks on them. However, I have a 1450rpm Gentle Typhoon fan blowing directly onto the VRM's which I figured would keep the temps down sufficiently enough to overclock the CPU a bit higher.

I'm not looking for 4ghz stable as I don't think the power phase is sufficient enough to get me there stable, but I figure 3.7-3.8ghz should not be out of the question. Perhaps I need to buy some heatsinks for the VRMs and give that a shot? Hardware Monitor shows my motherboard temps as never going past 35 but perhaps that is not monitoring the VRM area.

Anyway, I hope someone has an idea as to how I can squeeze a bit more out of the CPU since it is capable of booting at 4ghz without an issue and I'm sure would be stable on a proper ATX motherboard. I want to insure the CPU is not limiting my video card, especially when the new AMD 7000 series come out, and I think the 6 cores will help greatly with the new games like Battlefield 3. So I am not looking to upgrade my entire system to an Ivy Bridge this year if I can squeeze more out of this sucker.

Have you tried a single thread of Prime95 (or equivalent stress test) with CPU affinity glued to a single core to ensure you are stable at 4.0 GHz? You could use AMD Overdrive with Turbo set to say 250 MHz x 16.0 and make sure you select one of the Turbo cores for the stability testing. If that works try two of the Turbo cores and so on... If you luck out you could squeak by the overload protection with 4.0 GHz Turbo / 3.5 GHz x6 operation. Dial down as necessary of course.

I agree that a stronger motherboard would likely solve your issue but that it's not worth the money for what will be an outdated socket very very soon.

If it keeps downclocking, chances are your mobo is starting to overheat.....get some heat sinks for those MOSFET's and try a bit harder...

One thing people don't understand is, that though Thubans have a similar TDP to Denebs (albeit at lower clocks), they pull more current through the VRMs.

It is possible that even with heat sinks on the MOSFETs, you may not be able to hit 4.0 on that board, the power circuitry just may not be able to deliver enough 'clean' current

One thing people don't understand is, that though Thubans have a similar TDP to Denebs (albeit at lower clocks), they pull more current through the VRMs.

It is possible that even with heat sinks on the MOSFETs, you may not be able to hit 4.0 on that board, the power circuitry just may not be able to deliver enough 'clean' current

but the OP's goal of 3.7/3.8 is possible, with cooling on the board

Yes, I'm only looking to go 3.7/3.8 since I think the mobo I have cannot take much more than 1.45-1.5v with the 4+1 power phase and a Thuban.

AeyAJ8sgRtfvEeXS_500.jpg

I just purchased 10 mosfet heatsinks on Ebay but wondering if I need 10 more for the smaller mosfets...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330559566271&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I have an M4A785-M which has an identical pwm layout as the board you have. I had two packs of those enzotech mosfets heatsinks laying around so I used all 20 of them. I think the smaller mosfets are slightly shorter than the larger ones so if you use the larger heatsinks they won't make contact with the smaller mosfets.

Back