help overclocking E8400 to 4ghz

StRiFeXD

Weaksauce
I need some help clocking my E8400 up to 4ghz.

Currently:
3.6ghz (9x400)
vcore: 1.288v

4 x 1GB ram @ 400mhz (this is 1066 ram)
NB voltage: 1.4v

ASUS p5q delux

it's stable at those settings, and my temps in crysis warhead hover around 60. Running prime95, it goes up to around 67-68C.

However, when i try raising it to 4.0ghz (9x444) vcore:1.33, my games will crash within 5-10 minutes. I've tried raising vcore, but am afriad to raise it anymore because my temps go up to about 70C in prime95 and around 63 in crysiswarhead. Is this safe? I'm using a zalman9700. Do you think i shud try reapplying thermal paste? because 70C in prime95 @4ghz seems a bit high for an aftermarket heatsink. I have exceptional airflow in my case, with 1 front intake, 1 back exhaust, 2 top exhuast, and 1 side intake.

Anyways, my main question is, what should i be changing to get it stable at 4ghz? Do i need to raise my northbridge voltages? I raised it up to 1.4v for NB because I used to get BSOD with 4 sticks of ram, but now i dont get those anymore. Would it mainly just be raising my vcore? What'r considered reasonable voltages for 4ghz and temps?

Also, is 9x444 much different from 533x7.5? because i know at 533x7.5 im running my RAM at max speed.

oh, and temps monitored using ReaTemp. :) Idle is around 43C

Thanks

63 & 70C Temps are fine, Keep pushing it, Me myself stay away from 80C+.

If temps get too far out of hand, A Simple cooler upgrade will fix that and of course give you some more headroom. Also beware that heat can cause stabilitys of course.

As for your voltage Questions, What is the Stock Voltages? If its 1.2V, 1.4V is more than enough. It will indeed possibly be a case of raising voltage til its stable. As for reasonable temps and voltages. Like i said, I stay away from 80C+, even then, At 4.0ghz my E5200 under a Lapped tuniq loads out at 70C and 59C under a v10. As for voltages, A E8400 Should not require alot of a voltage bump, Their known to be good overclockers, but if thats not the case, the max tech voltage is 1.45V some stay at 1.4V but its really just a factor on how well your cooling the chip, Which for you, i would stay under 1.4V.

As for your fsb question, Of course the 533X7.5 will wield better performance than 9X444. Try to get that much of a fsb, It might require adding some nb voltages but like i said, if stock is 1.2V for a asus, 1.4 should be fine.

Also for stability i suggest using Ibt, but to be honest if your getting those temps ibt will be around 85C+.

One thing thats making me happy is my choice of going UD3R, I love the Fsb strap options, makes it very easy to keep ram its rated speed or find the perfect ram overclock within its 12+ speed choices.

i was under the impression that the zalman9700 was a pretty good cooler. Do the temps im getting right now seem around the right range for this cooler? I'm just asking because im slightly skeptical about how well i applied the thermal paste since this is the first rig ive ever built and didn't know exactly how much and how to apply the paste =\

okay, i ill keep pushing slitely higher on vcore and see how that works out :)

Be sure to only report temps using Realtemp with TjMax set to 100C.
Any other temps are meaning less and will not help us solve your problem.

Assuming you have...
You need better cooling or maybe higher voltage if temps stay sensible (unlikely though).
As you have a newer chip you should be able to get 4GHz with much less voltage.
I prefer to stay under 70C fyi.

I'm using an older E8400 that runs at 1.4V, 4.1GHz and never exceeds 67C (Using Realtemp with TjMax set to 100C).
Thats with a TRUE 120, MX-2 paste with silent 120mm fan in an Antec 900 case, all fans set to lowest speed.
So I'd say there is something wrong with your CPU cooler or your ambient temps are high.

Never worked with the cooler myself, but judging from reviews, its around there but i could be wrong, Also if your having doubts on your tim applying skills, reattempt to do so, as said in countless guides, a simple rice size drop will do for an even spread, Me myself i do the rice and use the finger in a plastic bag method and spread it myself, Has not failed or made me question it to this day.

But yea like i said, im sure its not that bad of a cooler, but i will let people who own it come in and correct me, I say this due to me buying a Bt Typhoon open box for $20 on the egg which used to cool my E5200 (Runs hotter than E7000/E8400) and max temp was around 70C during ibt. Which is around 62-65 In full mode prime/orthos.

i had the zalman 9700, bought a xigmatek s1283 what a world of difference went from 60-70c underload @ 4.275ghz 1.344 volts to 52c under full load @ same mhz and voltage right now I stay @ 50c under orthos and occt @ 4038mhz with 1.344 voltage and I also added a gtx 280 when i added this cooler which puts out alot more heat than my old 8800gts.. I'm absoloutly impressed with the s1283 I would recommend it to anybody

with a 533FSB, im getting BSODs of "memory_management" which i believe has to do with RAM. My current NBvoltage is 1.44, is it safe to raise this? or should i be giving up and lowering FSB and raising multiplier. :( My ram is at 2.1V, which is the rated 533mhz voltage for those sticks. well, it's 2.1 in bios, is there a way to check if it is actually at 2.1v?

If i recall Ram has a sort of vdroop as well, increase it to 2.12-2.15. Keep in mind i dont know if asus boards give that much options for voltages.

As for the bsod, Seems like most of the solutions say to run memtest to check, if its causing that much of a problem, just leave it at the higher multi, but keep tweaking it.

I need some help clocking my E8400 up to 4ghz.

Currently:
3.6ghz (9x400)
vcore: 1.288v

4 x 1GB ram @ 400mhz (this is 1066 ram)
NB voltage: 1.4v

ASUS p5q delux

it's stable at those settings, and my temps in crysis warhead hover around 60. Running prime95, it goes up to around 67-68C.

However, when i try raising it to 4.0ghz (9x444) vcore:1.33, my games will crash within 5-10 minutes. I've tried raising vcore, but am afriad to raise it anymore because my temps go up to about 70C in prime95 and around 63 in crysiswarhead. Is this safe? I'm using a zalman9700. Do you think i shud try reapplying thermal paste? because 70C in prime95 @4ghz seems a bit high for an aftermarket heatsink. I have exceptional airflow in my case, with 1 front intake, 1 back exhaust, 2 top exhuast, and 1 side intake.

Anyways, my main question is, what should i be changing to get it stable at 4ghz? Do i need to raise my northbridge voltages? I raised it up to 1.4v for NB because I used to get BSOD with 4 sticks of ram, but now i dont get those anymore. Would it mainly just be raising my vcore? What'r considered reasonable voltages for 4ghz and temps?

Also, is 9x444 much different from 533x7.5? because i know at 533x7.5 im running my RAM at max speed.

oh, and temps monitored using ReaTemp. :) Idle is around 43C

Thanks

There isn't much difference in running 9x444 and 533x7.5 other than you're putting a Helluva lot of stress on the CPU and northbridge. You'll see a few extra points in synthetic benchmarks, but won't notice any difference in day to day apps or even games. I recommend you keep the FSB at 444MHz as it will make it much easier for you to attain 4GHz with far less voltage and heat.

My E8400 C0 runs 4.1GHz at 1.4v in the BIOS.

with a 533FSB, im getting BSODs of "memory_management" which i believe has to do with RAM. My current NBvoltage is 1.44, is it safe to raise this? or should i be giving up and lowering FSB and raising multiplier. :( My ram is at 2.1V, which is the rated 533mhz voltage for those sticks. well, it's 2.1 in bios, is there a way to check if it is actually at 2.1v?

Give up the 533MHz FSB quest, it's just not worth the trouble. You're pushing your CPU and motherboard too hard to achieve that when it's just not going to be that noticeable.

I have my vcore on default in BIOS (1.25v) but CPU-Z is reporting 1.20v and sometimes it dips to 1.18v. Would you say the CPU-Z one is more accurate?

My E8400 is doing 3.6Ghz on the equipment in my sig and stock voltage and maxes out at 52-53c at 100% for 2-3 hours so far. I will be running it overnight. :) The memory is running at its full 533FSB. I guess that basically means I have a lot of room to play with and as long as my cpu FSB doesn't surpass that of the memory (which it won't as even 4ghz is about 450fsb) then I should have no problem with a higher overclock while maintaining full memory fsb?

Side question... I want to get my 8400 to 4Ghz eventually, and was wondering if it's common for people to have their 1066 memory running at 800, or any number below 1066 for that matter? Also, my cpu voltage question still stands...

Thanks!

Give up the 533MHz FSB quest, it's just not worth the trouble. You're pushing your CPU and motherboard too hard to achieve that when it's just not going to be that noticeable.

533mhz fsb is not that hard on a ud3r/p and even more for a e8400 ;)

533mhz fsb is not that hard on a ud3r/p and even more for a e8400 ;)

It's not a matter of whether or not it's hard. It's a FACT that higher FSB speeds put more stress on the CPU and motherboard.

It's silly to shoot for 4GHz with a 533FSB when he could more than likely achieve 4.1GHz or 4.2GHz with a lower FSB at the same voltage and it would be faster than 4GHz at 533.

I've been there and done that, I've had my E8400 up to 540FSB but in the end, the whole system is faster with the CPU running at 4.1- 4.3GHz at a lower FSB with less stress on the motherboard.

I have my vcore on default in BIOS (1.25v) but CPU-Z is reporting 1.20v and sometimes it dips to 1.18v. Would you say the CPU-Z one is more accurate?

You wont ever know until you measure with a calibrated voltmeter.

Back