Help overclocking a X3 720 please? :)

TS28

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone,

I finally got my X3 720 today, and I am anxious to OC. I have the big ole fatty Xigamatek cooler.

As of right now, I have the bus at 200, stock.

The multiplier is at 17.5

The voltage is at 1.400

Should my voltage go any higher? I want to make sure that this OC stays very "safe", as I do not have money to replace this processor. Perhaps 3.5 is just too high? Should my voltage be higher?

What happens when you raise the ram speed? 220-230 should be plenty safe.

Here is where the real action is going on with these processors on both air, water, and exotic cooling.

the phenom II is good to 1.55v i believe by AMD's recommended maximum voltage.. so yes you can go higher then 1.4v

hes using a black edition processor.. ram speed does not matter.. since your only changing the multiplier and not the FSB.. something you intel people havent ever gotten to use.. :p

What, intel has made unlocked multi procs dummy :p

If you meant that in the way that means intel users always mess with fsb on even extreme procs, then nvm :cool:

Also, mind linking where amd says 1.55V is the max for their phenom 2's? Cause if so then i better head over to my little cousins house and turn down his 710 :(

the phenom II is good to 1.55v i believe by AMD's recommended maximum voltage.. so yes you can go higher then 1.4v

hes using a black edition processor.. ram speed does not matter.. since your only changing the multiplier and not the FSB.. something you intel people havent ever gotten to use.. :p

Interesting. When I looked at their website here: http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=522

It says "Voltages 0.850-1.425V ". Does that mean that 1.425V is the max? I was confused when I first saw this, because I see most sites saying that go well into 1.5V with overclocks.

Interesting. When I looked at their website here: http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=522

It says "Voltages 0.850-1.425V ". Does that mean that 1.425V is the max? I was confused when I first saw this, because I see most sites saying that go well into 1.5V with overclocks.

i believe 1.425v is the max vid they will use.. but ive seen plenty of other things saying its 1.55v.. which brings me to the idea that intels 1.4v rating on their 45nm processors is probably incorrect.. since the i7 is rated at 1.5v and is 45nm but the core 2 45nm is rated at 1.4v..

What, intel has made unlocked multi procs dummy :p

If you meant that in the way that means intel users always mess with fsb on even extreme procs, then nvm :cool:

Also, mind linking where amd says 1.55V is the max for their phenom 2's? Cause if so then i better head over to my little cousins house and turn down his 710 :(

i know intel has made unlocked processors.. but how many people in their right mind can/could afford those processors?

also just because amd or intel say there is a recommended voltage limit on their processors is only for warranty matters.. it doesnt actually mean the processor will instantly die if you exceed that voltage..

i know intel has made unlocked processors.. but how many people in their right mind can/could afford those processors?

also just because amd or intel say there is a recommended voltage limit on their processors is only for warranty matters.. it doesnt actually mean the processor will instantly die if you exceed that voltage..

Retail maybe, i recall seeing a computer store near me that had a few QX9650 for a while that they sold em for $350 a pop. I have seen some pretty decent prices on here too, other than that, yes their very overpriced. but heres the thing, To be honest intel does not need unlocked multis, since most of their lineup has the possibility to overclock by a decent amount and alot of em (<3 E0) to very good clocks.

As for your voltage limit comment, yes you are indeed right, they will not die instantly but they will degrade over time if kept in a poor cooling situation or way beyond its technical limits, Which should not even matter since the warranty is void once you increase that multi/fsb up 1 notch.

You dont hear this from me, the guy who kept his E5200 @ 4.3Ghz @ 1.5V for 3+ months testing this (nothing happened) but unless you need it, most overclocks past their tech voltage max are not really needed other than epeen stretching, and yes mine was that case.

Like i said, i might head over to my cousins house and turn down his 710, i left it clocked at 1.6V for 3.75Ghz on his build.

yeah i know what ya mean with the QX's and really they arent even that great because the higher L2 cache in them limits the overclocking potential they have anyways.. but damn you needed 1.6v to do 3.75ghz.. kinda suprised.. figured it would of been able to do that a little bit lower voltage.. oh well still a damn nice overclock.. cant wait til i buy my phenom II x4 940 next week.. mmm... finally venturing into quad core.. lets just hope my biostar tforce 780g doesnt explode from it..

Just raise the multiplier a notch at a time at 1.4v, once it becomes unstable back it down a notch. I have read some people can get up to 3.5ghz on stock voltage so may be no need to up it anymore.

As for the guy talking about the 1.425 max vid, thats for stock clocks, no need to throw more voltage at stock. I have my x4 940BE working at 1.3v for stock just fine (had to move away from 1.275 cause of a crash during burnout paradise). Personally I haven't found anything to give me a reason to OC this CPU yet, burnout paradise only takes up to 75% load during my testing.

I ran mine last night at 3.5 at stock voltage. Ran the AOD stability test 30 minutes, then played left 4 dead and tf2 for 2 hours. It's a phenom II 940. I'm afraid to bump voltage up since I've only had it a week, and can't spend another 200 for a new cpu! I run at stock speeds until I'll notice a big dif in games.

I ran mine last night at 3.5 at stock voltage. Ran the AOD stability test 30 minutes, then played left 4 dead and tf2 for 2 hours. It's a phenom II 940. I'm afraid to bump voltage up since I've only had it a week, and can't spend another 200 for a new cpu! I run at stock speeds until I'll notice a big dif in games.

the processors are burned in by the factory so it should be no problem raising the voltage on it..

just stay under 1.5v if your really worried about it.. anything under that and your perfectly fine.. just make sure the temps arent to high.. its the heat that will kill the cpu more then over-volting it.. unless you go balls out and go well over 1.6v

Oooh. That's kool. I wonder how much farther past 3.5 I can go if I go up in voltage. I may have to try that.

Back