• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

help overclocking a 2400+

huxley

Pleeze Maik Mee STFU!!
Joined
Oct 23, 2001
Messages
9,342
Hey guys, I just bought a pc from a guy off of the hardforums. It has an AMD 2400+ chip in it as well as an asus NF7-S motherboard. I am under the impression that this board is a OC'er friendly board.

I have a stock fan and stock heatsink applied with normal thermal paste.

I have never done an OC in my life. I work with computers on a daily basis as an IT professional but have never had the want to OC anything. After using a program made by a mod here at hardforums to overclock my new 9800 pro I wanted to see if I could push my CPU a little more from the current stock level.

This may seem like a lame question..but...how do I overclock? I know I must go into the BIOS and tell it that I wish to moderate the cpu level myself. Where do I go and how do I do this? I made sure to read the stick post about temps and want to keep it at a steady ~55 C temp to be safe. Can I get some help here? I am willing to do some reading if that is what it takes. I feel n00bs in anything just don't take the time to rtfm nowadays. Any help is appreciated!
 
I also have a large case with a fan one one cover, a fan in the front, a fan on the mobo and three vents on the back. It seems to be very nice for cooling purposes. Not sure if this is important information.
 
I don't have your motherboard; forgive me if I give you the wrong settings.

You'll want to set cpu interface to "aggressive" and memory to "100%". You'll probably want to drop the multiplier to 10 so you can find your fsb limit; then you'll start increasing the fsb in steps. Start at fsb of 166; bench it to see it's stable; then go in steps of 5 mhz or so till you reach maybe 185 or 190, then go in fsb steps of 2 or 3. Benchmark to make sure it's stable. Up the vcore a notch if not and try again.

Once you find your fsb limit, try raising your multiplier by 0.5 steps and bench each time; you'll probably need to raise your vcore and vdimm every step or too; bench for stability again.

Watch your temperatures. Good luck. My first o/clock was on a 2400+ and I was using a kt400 "lite" board and I only got 2.25; bet you'll go higher!
 
Cool, thanks for that info. I tried to follow bootoo's instructions and was completely lost. I need some specific instructions for this nf7 mobo...
 
I know you guys overclock, can someone at least give me a link to something that will help me with this cpu and mobo
 
Back
Top