Help On Wireless Router

vincentharris

Weaksauce
I am now living in a 2 story house which because of logistics can not get cat6 so I can only use wireless. I have roughly 15-20 devices connected at any given time. Best wireless router options for high bandwidth traffic? Suggestions?

Why are all the "top dogs" not looking so hot in the reviews? Currently using an Asus N66U and have been for some time. I've noticed that over time the wireless coverage and speed have both degraded. I've seen similar comments in the reviews about the "top dogs" I've been waiting and hoping for a solid upgrade that will not disappoint. For almost $300 I feel I should be Wowed. Will any of these top offerings from asus/netgear wow? Or should I wait a bit longer for the next, even more expensive router?

I need better bigger stronger wireless coverage, but my most demanding uses are all hard wired cat6.

Just got a Motorolla SB6141 from costco and looking for a nice router to match.

Why are all the "top dogs" not looking so hot in the reviews? Currently using an Asus N66U and have been for some time. I've noticed that over time the wireless coverage and speed have both degraded. I've seen similar comments in the reviews about the "top dogs" I've been waiting and hoping for a solid upgrade that will not disappoint. For almost $300 I feel I should be Wowed. Will any of these top offerings from asus/netgear wow? Or should I wait a bit longer for the next, even more expensive router?

I need better bigger stronger wireless coverage, but my most demanding uses are all hard wired cat6.

Just got a Motorolla SB6141 from costco and looking for a nice router to match.

They get shit reviews because they are $300 routers and they don't do much more over normal $100 routers. Aside from adding a 2nd 5Ghz network, they aren't special. And the usefulness of 2x 5Ghz is limited in everything except specific file scenarios are copying files across WiFi at the same time.

People often overestimate their needs and how much bandwidth each device needs. Even if you have a 100+ connection from the ISP, the router won't often be the limiting factor in device download speeds even with a bunch of devices connected.

Side note: I bought a WRT1900AC refurb for cheap to get a router with more range over my previous AC router. My Netgear AC router either degraded or everyone around me started causing WiFi issues. I really wanted something with multiple external antennas and this fit the bill. The new router covers my house and lawn easily with a good WiFi signal. I found it difficult to find reviews deing with overall range compared to dick swinging about how fast the routers were when the connected device was less than six feet away.

Last edited:
buy some cheap ass wifi routers and some powerline ethernet adapters.

but your still not gonna get the max bandwidth with wifi.

best start learning how to patch holes and run cables in your house!

This is the route I'm taking. Tired of the crappy consumer wireless routers. Already got the ERL set up and in use, just have to order an AP. I'll see how the coverage is with that before picking up a second one. Gives me the option of throwing up a 2nd AP for better coverage if I need it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Definitely. Good luck with it, I'm going to go through the installation at my house as well. I live in a 2 story home ~2700 sq ft., but I've been graced with Cat5e runs in all rooms so I will probably install a second AP downstairs via PoE.

I'll be interested to see your results.

Back