• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Help on new computer

awsomaha

n00b
Joined
Mar 22, 2004
Messages
28
I pretty sure you guys always hear this around tax season, got some money buring a hole in my pocket blah, blah, blah....anyways, I currently looking for a setup around an MOBO on nforce3 chipset, AMD64 3000 (winchester core pro), and about 1gig memory. Now couple of questions.....

1. I have a 9700pro AGP card, still good or try upgrading?
2. Is it worth going to NForce4 for the PCIe slot or stay with AGP slot if I have to upgrade my video card?
3. Do I have to buy the memory in pairs (2x512) or would just one stick of 1gig work better?

TIA for everyones help.
 
1. 9700Pro is alright I guess, if you have the money I would go for a 9800XT or a 6800NU or GT.
2. If your not going to upgrade your video card, going with a Nforce3 would be ok, although I don't know if you would be able to find a Socket 939 Nforce3 board. If you are going to go and buy a new video card, You might as well get the Nforce4 board.
3. I havent done much research on Dual Channel on AMD64. But I believe that Nforce4 does do dual channel. In that case, get 2 matched sticks of 512, you'll get a nice performance boost.

Hope this helps!
 
awsomaha said:
I pretty sure you guys always hear this around tax season, got some money buring a hole in my pocket blah, blah, blah....anyways, I currently looking for a setup around an MOBO on nforce3 chipset, AMD64 3000 (winchester core pro), and about 1gig memory. Now couple of questions.....

1. I have a 9700pro AGP card, still good or try upgrading?
2. Is it worth going to NForce4 for the PCIe slot or stay with AGP slot if I have to upgrade my video card?
3. Do I have to buy the memory in pairs (2x512) or would just one stick of 1gig work better?

TIA for everyones help.
depends on what you are going to use your comp for? gaming, coding, net surfing, graphics, multimedia, and etc....
In general, i'd recommend the 6600GT over the 9700pro since you have some money to burn. Actually you can find a 6600GT well under $200 now. Going with PCie too considering the upgradibility in the future. a pair or a stick doesn't matter but I prefer a pair.
 
Ok, the question is, are you going to update again soon (as soon as more money starts that burn effect in your pocket - how does that feel by the way?) or are you going to keep the system for a while (say a year?)
My suggestion is this - IF I was updating I would look hard at the SLI boards right now. IF I was not afraid of a simple pencil trick, I would prolly go with the DFI UT NF4 Ultra motherboard ( the pencil trick is apply pencil lead over one of the bridges on the chipset and viola! SLI is activated - DFI's board comes with two pci-express video card slots - and a low price too. overclocks well too) Then I would look at buying at least one 6800 series card - if I was cash starved, I would get one X800XL ati card and call it good until the next fire started in your pants pocket. Then I would update to dual Nvidia Cards (what ever is out in 6 months)
As for Dual Channel Memory - the performance difference is higher in A64 than in the older XP series. However, if you have pc3200 or DDR 400 (whichever name you like - same memory) and have say 1 stick of good brand 512mb just go buy the IDENTICAL stick and off you go. If you just have 2x256 well, that should hold off until another burn happens.
 
SLI seems an overkill for him....again, depends on what you use your new toy for....Even gaming, I wouldnt recommend SLI if you are not too tech-oriented. But yeah, grab a SLI mobo and one 6600GT to start with then add another one later on ... the option will be kept open....
 
Well, the burning feeling you never quite get used to. I usually don't have the money in my pocket long enough for any lasting affects. As for primary usage, it will be gaming and surfing. I don't plan on upgrading any sooner then a year (sadly maybe even two) until the wife says okay :D . In other words, this machine has to last about 2 years. So I figure an SLI mobo, with a either 6600 or X800XL (depends on money left over and what not). You also have to understand I'm coming from a t-bird 1700 processor, so anything newer will feel like lighting to me.
 
Back
Top