help on monitoring a network

harleydats

n00b
hey, i have this problem. the situation here is, i'm an administrator of our network in our dormitory. we only have an internet, Linksys BEFSR41v3 router and hubs. we have a rule not to use p2p clients (like bittorent, limewire, shareaza, kazaa & ....) during weekdays because its causing traffic which results to slow internet. my problem here is what am i going to use to see and check if somebody is trying to abuse the network or use these prohibited programs. i mean a software that logs all activity in and out of the router... please help. thanks... i really need it ASAP

harleydats said:
my problem here is what am i going to use to see and check if somebody is trying to abuse the network or use these prohibited programs. i mean a software that logs all activity in and out of the router...

Wait to see if someone knows of a fix for the linksys.

Meanwhile - somethings to consider:
You might not be able to get the information you need from that model Linksys router. Possible options would be upgraded firmware to increased funcationality (on the WRT54G I believe) or to look at one of the Linux distros made to do this.

I've had good experiences blocking P2P traffic with a Clarkconnect system and the firewall addon for P2P.
http://www.clarkconnect.com/webapp/moduleinfo.jsp?id=113
This is what the actual configuration page looks like:
cc-p2p.jpg

Back