• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help on drives and JBOD

Gruson

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 26, 2001
Messages
162
I purchased a High Point PCI controller and will be setting it up tonight. It has 4 channels and supports up to 8 IDE (ATA/133) drives.

Here is my question. What is the best way to set it up? I am running Win XP and will start with only 3 drives running off the controller.

Note: The OS drive will still be running from the mobo and will have a slave drive.

The PCI controller (Highpoint) will be running 3 drives for now.

My question is, the hard drives I want to add to the controller are all full of data. When I set up the PCI controller as JBOD, will it automatically make the 3 drives on drive letter? EX. F: or will the 3 drives show up as F: G: and H: ? When will I be prompted to set the drives up? It is ok they already have the data on them, correct?

All drives are around 250 gigs each and will be used most of the time for streaming movies off of them.

Thanks!
 
I have a Raid also and was wondering the same thing so I can put it to use. Let me know if you find out.
 
I have never used the Highpoint controllers but the way it usually works is as follows:
1. Back up everything on the drives you need to save.
2. Hook up the drives to the controller per manufacturer instructions
3. Press the key sequence to get into the RAID BOIS as the compter is booting. (manufacturer and controller dependent)
4. Configure your array (again manufacturer and controller dependent)
5. Boot into windows and load the drive management utility (Windows XP/2K right click on my computer then select manage then go to Disk Management)

The OS will see the array as 1 big drive. Create your partition(s) and format to use and assign a drive letter.

Remember, creating the array usually wipes all data on the disk, so back up anything important before hand.

Anyone have any corrections for me? :p

Spec
 
Back
Top