Help! Old Athlon overclocker delving into the realm of Intel overclocking

GP40X

Limp Gawd
OK guys here's what I got:
AMD Athlon XP 2500 Mobile Barton currently running @ 225mHz @ 1.65 volts on air.
Shuttle AN 35N Ultra MB
2 x 512 Mb Mushkin PC-3200 (DDR-400) ram running synchronous @ 225 mHz.
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128
Maxtor 160 Gig HD (8meg cache) Primary master
Maxtor 200 Gig HD (16meg cache) Primary slave (the only thing on this drive is my swap file and pRon collection)
Emprex DVD Dual 16x Double Layer DVD+-R/RW Drive
Mitsumi 3.5 1.44 Floppy Drive
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Value
Antec SuperLanboy case
CoolerMaster Realpower 450 Watt Continuous PSU

The Radeon 9800 Pro is not cutting it any more and it's time to upgrade.

Here's what I won at the CPL thanks to Nvidia, Gigabyte, and Antec:
Gigabyte GA-8N-Sli Pro LGA 775 MB (I won two of the durn things so someone is telling my next upgrade needs to be Intel).
I traded the second board for a Netgear MIMO router and an Antec TP2-550EPS12V Truepower 2.0 SLI certified PSU so I have the board and power supply for the upgrade.

Here's what I plan to get:
Pentium 4 630 Prescott processor
EVGA geForce 6800GS (plan on getting a second one later for SLI)
Zalman CNPS9500 Heatsink
Still have not decided on the memory yet other than 2 1 gig matched sticks (one of the things I need help with).
IDE hard drives, Audigy 2 value, DVD burner, and case will have to do for now.

Due to my limited budget, I had to make the choice between a 7800 GT or 2 gig of ram and I am going with 2 gig (BF2 whore).

I haven't had a lot of luck finding Nvidia Intel edition overclocking information. Athlon XP overclocking was easy. Get good memory, run it in sync, unlock the CPU, get good cooling and go to town on the multiplier and FSB.

From what I have found Intel is quite different. I need recommendations on memory, timings, and CPU/Memory bus ratios and need to know how the Intel 630 overclocks. Also URLs to any good Intel Nvidia chipset overclocking information would be appreciated.

Thanks from an Intel overclocking noob (who couldn't get an Intel Engineering sample with an unlocked multiplier to save his life).

P.S. And please no AMD guys screaming to trade the board and go Athlon 64. The reason for this upgrade is to go to PCIe AND DDR 2 with a raid 0 array down the road. If I don't like the performance of the Intel setup, it will be that much easier to upgrade to M2 when it comes out. And if Conroe turns out to be as promising as it looks right now I will stay with Intel ;)

Good choices, the 630 and the 6800GS both have very good price/performance ratios and the 630 is an awesome OCer, Ive seen many hit 4ghz on air

OCing an Intel is rather easy:
boot>enter bios>lock pci&pcie>set ram ratio>raise fsb (10mhz increments)>boot to memtest and loop for a while/boot to win and prime for a while
P4 Testing Guide http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=418387

The board is DDR2 isn't it ? people recommend DDR2 ram with D9 chips for nice overclocks
here is a complete list of ram with D9 chips http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=77442
with good DDR2 you will be able to run the ram at higher than fsb speeds and get pretty impressive ram bandwidth, even with loose timmings

OCing an nVidia vcard isnt that different from OCing an ATI vcard, get rivatuner from guru3d.com and play with it (things to try: unlock pipes and the good ol mhz game)

D

ZL1 said:
Good choices, the 630 and the 6800GS both have very good price/performance ratios and the 630 is an awesome OCer, Ive seen many hit 4ghz on air

OCing an Intel is rather easy:
boot>enter bios>lock pci&pcie>set ram ratio>raise fsb (10mhz increments)>boot to memtest and loop for a while/boot to win and prime for a while
P4 Testing Guide http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=418387

The board is DDR2 isn't it ? people recommend DDR2 ram with D9 chips for nice overclocks
here is a complete list of ram with D9 chips http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=77442
with good DDR2 you will be able to run the ram at higher than fsb speeds and get pretty impressive ram bandwidth, even with loose timmings

OCing an nVidia vcard isnt that different from OCing an ATI vcard, get rivatuner from guru3d.com and play with it (things to try: unlock pipes and the good ol mhz game)

D

Thanks ZL1, exactly the type of information I am looking for. Also I can add the "coolbits" hack and overclock the 6800 GS. I remember that from my GeForce3 days :p

GP40X said:
Thanks ZL1, exactly the type of information I am looking for. Also I can add the "coolbits" hack and overclock the 6800 GS. I remember that from my GeForce3 days :p

You're welcome :)

Rivatuner is the way to go :)

D

Back