Help Ocing core i7 920

vietkangta

Limp Gawd
Hi I've been trying to overclock my 920 to 3.0ghz but can't seem to do it. My system is in my spec. and i have these rams: OCZ3P1600LV6GK

The problems is that i keep trying to set my blck to 150 but it keep giving me a bsod. I even raised my ram voltages up to 1.66 from 1.5. I've tried the bios and the asus turbo v program. What am i doing wrong? I saw the hardforum asus p6t overclocking video and it seems to do much higher blck easily enough. Is it my ram that's limiting me?

You should be able to leave everything to default in the BIOS and only change the blck to 150 without any issues at all. But if it is not working you might have to manually set your ram timings to their specs that are on their label.

My CPU overclocks great after I underclock my ram from 1600 to something below that. If not I will get BSOD. Make sure your DIMM voltage matches the spec for the ram (mine is 1.65v)

try this;
set ram to 1t 8 - 8 - 8
set ram volt to 1,65
set multiplier to 19
set bclock to 170
set vcore to 1,22 (between here and 1,25 should get you up to 3,5ghz)

from here, you should be stable at 3,2ghz with 1,8,8,8 ram - work on getting the ram to where you want, stable and then increase the bclock til you are happy (this will mean running your ram lower than 1600, not a big deal)

for reference, i'm running at 3,4ghz .with 180x19 on the stock cooler + as5 in a matx case, getting 28c idle and 45 under heady load, maxed at 85c with prime95

i use 1,5v 1600 @ 1,52v with 14/15 something ram with 1t 8,8,8 timings, though

(sig is inaccurate atm ;p)

Last edited:
my ram isn;t even running at the rated speed. Its running at a much lower speed than 1600. I tried manually setting the ram to its specification 1600 and noticed the voltage on my ram became 1.8! That's way too high for me.

So even at the lower ram speeds i can;t even set my blck above 150 or at 150.

Did you raise your cpu vtt(uncore) to be 0.5v of your vdimm? If not you are risking damage to your cpu.

With such a modest overclock you should be able to leave all voltages besides cpu vtt and vdimm on auto. Also try setting the timing on the ram manually in the bios, your ram's spec calls for CL 7-7-7-24(CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS).

Btw, what message do you get when you bsod??

Check out this guide for more insight on oc'ing a i7. I know its evga specific, but it offers alot of general knowledge also.

Last edited:
Most people i read can get 166 on the blck by just upping that blck and leaving everything on auto.

Sounds like a ram issue to me. So are you stable at stock clocks with ur ram running at spec? Also might wanna run memtest on your ram to see if thats the issue.

i tried running my ram at stock specs but the voltages increase are huge, i saw that my dram voltage was at 1.85! with equal increases in qpi and other voltages, so i just went back to what i was using for fear of damaging my computer.

Can you not manually adjust your RAM voltage? Set your RAM at the listed speed, if your voltage jumps, reset it. Ive never used an Asus board but my EVGA does not adjust the voltage for the RAM automatically.

I am having some issues getting past 155 on BCLK. I underclocked my RAM to 1066 in the bios, disabled speed step, and I can't get to 160 bclk without failing prime95 regardless of how I set my cpu voltage. I'm using TurboV.
I hear this could be a CAS issue? I am using OCZ 1600 Mhz 6gb (3x2gb). P6T V1, i7 920.
Ram is staying at low speeds and my CPU temp hasn't even hit 70 yet.

do you have the same ram as me?

Anyway i tried forcing the ram to 1333 in the bios and set blck to 145 with dram voltage at 1.64 and even that gave me BSOD in windows.

I think it might be a ram problem. I guess i;ll try overclocking again once i get some new and better ram.

Similar ram, mine is 3x2gb, yours is 2x3gb?

I checked on Newegg and it listed the timings as 8-8-8-24, and CPU-Z lists them at 7-7-7... it might be that setting. I looked in the BIOS though, and there are a scary amount of numbers in the ram settings. Not really sure what to do there. That seems like it could cause this.

First reset your bios to default, save and exit.

1) Change blck to 150
2) Change ram profile to XMP
3) Check and make sure voltage is at spec (in your case should be 1.5v)
4) LEAVE EVERYTHING ELSE AS IS - READ: AUTO
5) Save and exit

I have the P6T and thats exactly what I did. But now I am at 4ghz (20x200) w/ 1.225v. I have gskill ram though.

Try running Prime95 blend or Linpack at stock speeds. I have almost the same RAM (two sets actually, Gold version) and one set turned out to be bad. It would always fail at stock speeds running Linpack max memory usage with the bad set, but they would not always BSOD and would only throw occasional random errors in MemTest.

I guess OCZ has/had a quality control issue with the Gold version, possibly with a batch or two of the Plats as well.

I had the same BSOD issue where it would BSOD during prime even when the system was at stock speeds. The P6T when left to Auto for the ram timings, set the timings too aggressive (8-8-8-20 if I remember correctly). I did one of two things as either way will work; I set the ram profile to XMP or you set your timings manually and in my case it was 9-9-9-24. No more BSOD on stock speeds during prime.

Also note that my ram aren;'t even running at the rated 1600 speeds, its currently running at 1066.

Yeah I am using OCZ Gold. I'll give that a shot, test the ram out. If anything else I can swap the ram out. I'll try this tomorrow if I can. Thanks!

So... I reset my RAM timings to 8-8-8-24, as specified by OCZ. I ran linpack at the setting under max, passed fine. I tried overclocking and left the turbo step on accidentally, and I passed 3.2 ghz, but BSODed when I set BCLK to 160. I turned turbo stuff off, and upped the voltage, tried again. Still failed at 160 BCLK.

QPI seemed like it was still significantly low. My comp was running hotter today, not sure why, but I didn't hit 80C ever. I think the highest I saw was 78C on speedfan.

Anyone know why I might be freaking out at 160 BCLK?
I'm going to try to find some RAM to swap out soon and check that, as someone mentioned OCZ Gold causing some probs.

i contacted ocz and they told me to run at certain settings and i sitll cannot run my ram at the advertised speed. i can only run at 1066mhz. What a rip. Everytime i try to run 1600mhz or 1333mhz my computer bsod during prime. I guess ill buy some new ram when i get the money.

3.2? Either you have a BAD chip or something is not working properly in your rig.
My previous C0 920 went to 190BCLK without any trouble. And now have a D0 going to 204 without problem (though I am not happy GRRRRR!!!)
Anyways check this tutorial out and do as is given, leave the RAM on Auto and see what Freq pops up. By the way are you monitoring your temperature? There might be nothing wrong except un-settled heat sink? May be..... I am surprised that you are having trouble getting 3.2 and beyond. IF you can, test some friends RAM or chip on your board, though its a hassle.
See the tutorial below it has BIOS images too.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2008/11/06/overclocking-intel-core-i7-920/3

My Setting are;
381800stabletested.jpg

Last edited:
ive seen it just doesnt work for me. I cant even run at the rated 1600mhz ram speed at stock setting!

My system is only stable at stock with 1066mhz speed. It doesn't even run at 1333mhz with stock speeds! Im pretty sure it might be my ram.

This seems retarded - I followed the bit-tech guide above, still was crapping out at BCLK of 160. Using the same settings, I restarted, set BCLK to 150 in the BIOS, and using TurboV, I clocked BCLK to 175 when I failed at default voltage running Prime95. I upped the voltage and am running at 3.67 ghz right now for 10 or so minutes on Prime95. I am not exactly convinced of stability, but setting the BCLK in the BIOS is what got me to where I could prime for more than 5 seconds past BCLK 160. See if that helps you at all.

ive seen it just doesnt work for me. I cant even run at the rated 1600mhz ram speed at stock setting!

My system is only stable at stock with 1066mhz speed. It doesn't even run at 1333mhz with stock speeds! Im pretty sure it might be my ram.

I had this same issue when I first built my system. My ram only ran at 1066mhz, and not at the rated 1600mhz. I was in contact with Supertalent (ram manufacturer) and MSI (Mobo manufacturer), and each of them blamed the other. My fix was to update the bios to the newest version. MSI continually updates their ram compatability which allowed me to run my ram at spec.

Back