Help OC'ing a Phenom 9950 BE?

TS28

Limp Gawd
Hey, everyone. I recently made the switch to a quad-core. I have a 9750. I also got a nice beefy cooler on it (The Xigmatek), but I am having trouble getting a good OC.

As of right now, all I have tried is to up the bus. I got a slight overclock, but only got it to about 225. I am using a M3A78-T. I am new to the whole AMD OC'ing thing, so any tips?

I feel like I should be getting better results.

Sorry for noob question!

you should have done a bit of homework before jumping on that chip. phenom 1 cpus are terrible bus overclockers. the best i've seen on average is 250mhz on the ht. 230mhz is typical for b3 stepping chips. why did you put the 9950 be in the title of your thread then indicate that you have the 9750 in the post? the be chip is multiplier unlocked and will overclock better through that route rather than through pure bus speed. the best way to ensure a stable overclock is to keep the ht bus at its stock 2600mhz while increasing cpu clock via the multiplier.

since its a BE you dont need to mess with the bus speed.. all you need to mess with is the cpu multiplier and voltages.. everything else you dont need to touch.. leave the bus speed at 200 HTT at auto..

BE's make overclocking simple.. basicly do a little research.. look for reviews of the processor you have and take a look at the overclocks they were getting.. you can also compare numbers with the 9850 and 9950 if you have the 9750 like you said in your original post.. but anywhere around 3.3-3.5 is a decent overclock.. the phenom I's do scale pretty well once you are over the 3ghz mark..

Sorry to confuse, it is a 9950 Black Edition. I got it free from a friend.

First of all, thanks everyone for the replies. I really appreciate it.

Second, I took your guy's advice and instead of messing with the bus, I increased the multiplier. I raised it up to 13x. But I ended up with BSOD while running Prime95

I haven't increased voltage at all on anything. Is the problem that I need to raise the voltage? Could it be that the chip just can't get that high?

I'm looking to get this as high as I can with it still being stable and reliable.

Once again, thanks, [H], you rock :)

you need to raise the voltage no matter what.. amd already had the 9950 on the bleeding edge at stock.. so a voltage increase is required.. make sure you have ACC enabled in your bios.. otherwise it wont overclock for shit..

my 9950 140 watt hit 3.2 Ghz stable, 3.4Ghz but will BSOD sometimes under heavy load

only changed multiplier to 16 (i think) and uped the voltage to 1.45v. It worked this way with stock cooling, but I am under water cooling anyways (for the silence)

You got it free from a friend?? Wish I had friends like that. :)

Back