Help! No keyboard access after trying to repair XP Pro

seto

Weaksauce
I definately have some sort of driver f'up. I have an xp pro install, that will not read the keyboard once it loads the keyboard driver. I have even tried to repair the install using the xp cd - repair.

I think the culprit is the logitech mouse driver, but I am unable to do anything about it.

Once windows loads up the keyboard driver, the keyboard no longer responds.

Other than a total reinstall (not repair), is there any way to recover from this catastrophe?

If I unload the logitech filter drivers, rename the logitech driver, will the registry entries f me over?

As of now, the pc stares at me with the "enter your xp serial number" and I roll my eyes as I can't do crap.

I have tried to start the pc without a mouse (to stop the logitech mouse driver loading) but that did not solve anything.

The keyboard is a PS2 interface, I don't have a usb keyboard. Would using a usb keyboard work? Or has the logitech f-in drivers hooked into that as well? :mad:

Since I tried to "repair" the os, its now a partial install - so no safe mode.

Choices are to reinstall OS, repair OS, or run the command line repair.

I took the keyboard to work and it works fine. Its definately a driver issue.

I just need a way to remove the f-in driver to use the keyboard and continue the xp install.

If it boils down to reinstall OS, what will I lose?

Hopefully, my user account folders should be untouched, and I will need to reinstall my software. What other things could get messed?

seto said:
Since I tried to "repair" the os, its now a partial install - so no safe mode.

Choices are to reinstall OS, repair OS, or run the command line repair.

I took the keyboard to work and it works fine. Its definately a driver issue.

I just need a way to remove the f-in driver to use the keyboard and continue the xp install.

If it boils down to reinstall OS, what will I lose?

Hopefully, my user account folders should be untouched, and I will need to reinstall my software. What other things could get messed?

You could quite possibly loose everything in your user data folders on a complete re-install.

Like I said, just try a different KB.

I'd rip the hard drive out, put it in another box, then go into the hard drive and delete the Logitech files. Not guranteed that it will work but if Logitech is the problem, thats one of the only things you can do. If you press the Num Lock button, does the light come on?? BTW, which Logitech Keyboard is this?

Its not a logitech keyboard, its a micron pc generic ps2 one. The keyboard works fine through the bios boot. Its when windows loads the keyboard driver that it becomes useless.

I recently upgraded my logitech dual optical mouseman drivers to 9.80

I've been doing research and came across all sorts of issues with the logitech drivers since they hook themselves with filter drivers and what not.

This can disable your keyboard, since those drivers are not present when you reinstall xp.

Of couse I learned this after I set myself up to this problem.

I'll try and manually rename the damn drivers and if that doesn't work, I'll need to rip out the hd and see what I can do.

This really sucks.

So as a warning boys and girls, uninstall the logitech drivers before you need to reinstall XP.

ComputerBox34 said:
I'd rip the hard drive out, put it in another box, then go into the hard drive and delete the Logitech files. Not guranteed that it will work but if Logitech is the problem, thats one of the only things you can do. If you press the Num Lock button, does the light come on?? BTW, which Logitech Keyboard is this?
Best advice yet. And that would also give you a chance to back up your documents, in case the repair goes screwy.

I have performed repair installs with the logitech driver, I'm not saying this isn't your problem, just it isn't common/doesn't happen every time.

You should have a safe mode after repairing the install. :confused:

Back