• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help, network broken can't send in results

racercarl

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 16, 2003
Messages
485
I need a quick course on how to resetup my network to access the internet. My router and my windows box quit working together, after 3 days of frustration, the windows box has been pushed off into the corner, and now I need to get more than this one Linux box to work online. My other 10 folding boxes are done with their work units but can't send em in. :(

I have a router card in this box , and it is hooked to my cable modem, finally figured out how to get both of them happy with each other. but I can't get the other boxes to access the internet through this box.

The original set up was incoming to cable modem, then to Linksys 4 port router, then to boxes 1,2,and router card in 4, from 4 to box 3, router card in 5, and hub for 9,10,11,12. 5 goes to 6,7,8

boxes 1,2,3 are not hooked up at this time, box 4 is hooked up to cable modem and is currently working on line, hooking up the other two hubs and trying to get a connection has failed.

Most of my problem is not having a clue on what to do to set up the connections, and my ISP is helpless on what to do.

I really do not want to lose the work done on these boxes or have them turned in to late to do any good :confused:

Anyone out there have a quick lesson for a new linux user that is clueless ;)

thanks
Carl_Somerton, Team 33

OOPS, I forgot all of the folding boxes are running SUSE 8.2 as is this one. and the router refuses to work with anything,
 
Off the top of my head (headache and all), I'd throw you two options:

1. Get the Windows box back out of the corner, fire it up with the cable modem and a second NIC, and use Internet Connection Sharing.

2. Grab a copy of either Smoothwall ( http://www.smoothwall.org/ ) or SME Server ( http://www.contribs.org ), burn to disk and use the Windows box as a temporary Linux firewall/server.

Not familiar with router cards, and with this skullpounder, I'm not all that interested in learning at the moment. :(

Your last option would be to do a full reset on the Linksys router, by holding it's reset button in with power applied until you see the status lights change. If the Windows crate can then see the Linksys interface at http://192.168.1.1, then reconfigure and get back online.
 
The windows box will not hold it's settings for more than one boot, you need to reboot after the cable modem sets up. the box is hosed and will not accept a reformat and reinstall of the operating system. It has major problems, and i need to spend time to save some stuff on it before i really screw it up.

The linksys router is operated by windows software and does not support linux even though it worked for 9 months with the linux boxes hooked up. I do have SME on a disk, can i use that with the SUSE 8.2 to hook up the other boxes? or do i have to reset up everything one more time.

As i said it's been three days and me and the tech from the cable compny went through every posible way to get it to work, and the linksys has to have windows to initaize it after you reset it.

anyway I haven't been able to get it to with the linux, and i was going to ask questions before i change anything again and have to start over, cause it took an hour to figure it out after i hooked up the rest of the network and rebooted

As i said I don't have a clue on the networking :D
 
Worst Case.... Can you "kill" one of the linux installs...... and put Windows on it? then you should have a working windows box?
 
Well the router is toast also, it can't find the cable modem with the install disk or manually . :mad:

Alltho I am now getting pretty good at restting this box back up with the modem
;)

If all else fails I guess I will spend tomorrow night hooking each box up and uploading the work units one at a time .

what flag do i use to keep them from downloading another work unit, so i can keep from having to do this every night.

I am really bummed about this as I should of gone into the top three hundred saturday morning, now I am down 12 boxes :( and all those i passsed by last week are going to pass me like I'm parked [ which I am, basically ]

Not to mention the whole weekend wasted trying to get it working

bummer :(
 
We all know how frustrating PCs and networking can be...
I hope you can get everything figured out soon...

How difficult would it be to setup a virtual router within one of the Linux boxes? it's been a long time since I messed around with linux (read: Red Hat 4), but seems like there would be some program(s) you could find? (maybe those that Strikemaster suggested?)
 
ok, tried to use a different box and it has windows2000 on it now, the router will not admit that the internet exhists and can not find anything, it is not resetting.

googling it found that there is a firmware update for it. all you have to do is load it from the server onto the router. the fact that the router will not connect to be able to do this has had a few caustic remarks from others left on the site that led to the hidden firmware upgrade from linksys. I felt that it wasn't wrth the effort to add mine ;)

If anyone can point me towards a place that can talk in small words used by non programmers, so my noobie self can understand them, i would much appreciate it :D
 
If you have the bucks why not just grab a cheap outboard router? Seems like that would save you a ton of time and headaches, not to mention get you back up and folding ;)

Just a thought

BillR
 
I'll not start a religious brand war, but I have one word for Linksys routers: "Bleah!"

Sold 25 of them, ate about 10 in RMA within 6 months. Went with Netgears, have sold over 200, had 5 RMA in 2 years. I like those numbers better... :)

Anyway, what model / version Linksys you fighting? They (usually) will talk to any web browser; it's the upload firmware function that's strictly IE 5-centric. There is a way around that, and that's where the model / version comes in. You can use tftp to send the firmware to the router, instead of fighting Intarweb Exploder.

Model / version, and I'll try to use small words to get y'all back running. With Tigerbiten down for the count, and my imminent slack-off, we need to get your production back up pronto! ;)
 
The router is a Linksys NR041 4 port router,

I finally figured out that it trashed the windows box and the windows box will require a complete reinstall to correct, but it is corupt enough to not allow an install without wiping everything off the drive first.

Most of my boxen have small HDD's and a minimal install for folding only.
I do have one box that is dual booted with windows 2000 and SUSE 8.2 that I finally remembered that was dualed.

hooking the router up to it it keeps asking for a pass word and user ID. I have tried all the ones i have ever used and no go.

I do have two of the boxes set up with internal hubs, and one external switch to hook everything up to the net. If I can get this Linux box to act as a pass through or hub and figure out how to get the others to use it then I will be up and running.

I really appreciate all the help and ideas.
THANKS
 
racercarl said:
The router is a Linksys NR041 4 port router,

I finally figured out that it trashed the windows box and the windows box will require a complete reinstall to correct, but it is corupt enough to not allow an install without wiping everything off the drive first.

Most of my boxen have small HDD's and a minimal install for folding only.
I do have one box that is dual booted with windows 2000 and SUSE 8.2 that I finally remembered that was dualed.

hooking the router up to it it keeps asking for a pass word and user ID. I have tried all the ones i have ever used and no go.

I do have two of the boxes set up with internal hubs, and one external switch to hook everything up to the net. If I can get this Linux box to act as a pass through or hub and figure out how to get the others to use it then I will be up and running.

I really appreciate all the help and ideas.
THANKS
OK, looked over the docs I can find online, and it looks to be a BEFSR41 in a metal shell.

With the power on, hold the back panel reset button in for about 5 seconds. You should see the front panels lights do something, like all on or the Status light goes red, at about 4 seconds. Let go. :)

The router *should* be in factory reset mode. The default login is a blank line for user,
admin is the password. After that, you should be able to get the beastie running again.
 
Just tried that and no good, It says that the connection is already installed and that the device is configured.

Figured that it was toast so try another, went to radio shack for work stuff and picked up another router ( the model that you mentioned in fact) the same thing is happening, gets to the net and resets everything so i have to hook it up again and reboot to make it work.

rebooting clears everything and I have to start over, all the settings are lost.

The cable company is going to have a very pissed off customer demanding a new modum tomorrow. I don't know what is going on but if the new stuff should have worked, if their modem isn't being weird then at least I knowthat part is NEW.

you do know that NEW means Never Ever Worked :D

I hate this shit :mad:


 
Networking can be so much fun. Try your modem with just a NIC, see if that gets you on line, gotta start somewhere, that’s the place.

If that works hook your modem back up to the router and see if you get a “Link” light. If yes, then you know your modem is “talking” to your router.

Try to keep troubleshooting simple, otherwise you will enhance your vocabulary in new directions, take drugs, start smoking, drinking….well you get the idea ;)

Oh, hold that button in for 30 seconds for a full "default reset", 5 seconds for a standard reset.

Luck

BillR
 
Hooking one box to the modem and resetting the configurations this box will access the internet. If I use a hub ( the old or the new) it denies access. hooking in a switch did not work either. If I use Windows box a or b it will not stay programed and has to be reset. and setting it up, it goes to the ISP log in page, you log in and then you have to reboot the modum, the hub, and the computer. using that system it keeps going back to the log in page. I tried it with every variable that I could think of but no access.

The only thing I can think of is that the modem has a programing problem and by manually configuring this box it will by-pass the glitch and so it works.

If I could figure out how to det my other boxes to talk to this one and use it as a hub, which is what kind of card it has then the data on the windows box will get transfered into linux and I will convert it over also.

By the way we will have lost @ 2500 points by my farm being down this week and hopefully I can get it to get back to work next week, Damn that lets the Aussie's get even farther ahead :(


 
racercarl said:
Hooking one box to the modem and resetting the configurations this box will access the internet. If I use a hub ( the old or the new) it denies access. hooking in a switch did not work either. If I use Windows box a or b it will not stay programed and has to be reset. and setting it up, it goes to the ISP log in page, you log in and then you have to reboot the modum, the hub, and the computer. using that system it keeps going back to the log in page. I tried it with every variable that I could think of but no access.
Is there any chance your ISP just changed authentication schemes?

What you describe looks like PPPoE (Point -to-point protocol over Ethernet), sort of using the cable modem as a "super dial-up". It may be that the router isn't set for the particular "flavor" of PPPoE and keeps screwing up.

Is the modem a Motorola 4100, 4200 or 5100? If so, try hooking up everything without the cable line connected to the modem, and reboot the whole mess. The Motorolas act as a DHCP server when they can't get a cable signal. If you can login to the router, see on the Router Status page that it hooked a 192.168.100.xxx address from the modem, then it's definitely the ISP causing your headaches.

We (speaking as the cable modem installer / techie for the ISP I work for) keep it pretty simple for our users. The modems themselves authenticate to our server that they are allowed to connect. In turn, we authorize the modem to accept only ONE connecting device, such as a computer or DSL/cable modem router like the NR041. It's MAC/MAC pairing, nothing else. No stupid games with usernames and passwords for the broadband folks!

If that's the way it works with your ISP, then try "MAC cloning" the router. Example with the BEFSR41 is at the bottom of the setup page; you can use the router's MAC address, the MAC of the computer that *was* connected to the modem before you put the router in between them, or an arbitrary address (NOT recommended!).

Hope this helps.
 
Or, are you trying to do a PPOE configuration on a standard cable modem? As Strikemaster said, most cable companies want to keep it simple and stuff just works out of the box....as a rule. :rolleyes:

Another silly thought, do all your systems have the same workgroup name? That's sort of important, as well as each computer having a different name. I know this is basic stuff but anyone who says they haven't made that mistake in the heat of battle LIES! :D

Try try again, keep us posted

BillR
 
Ok, I tried hooking up everything the way Strikemaster said, status said everything was hooked up, rebooted everything and nothing. did this twice and no go, resetting everything and trying again with the old router and no go.

Disconnected everything and had to reset it three times to get back on today.

The modem will work with this box ONLY, if i hook it up to the widows box, or another Linux box and reset it, it denies acces to the modem, it is also doing that with both the old and the new router. it took an hour for me to get this back to work.

the system is 12 boxes, 11 of them are SUSE 8.2 Linux used to fold, 1 box was windows that i kept for working with my old handheld that i use for racing data. upgrading the windows system is not an option as Microsoft decided that anything newer than ME won't work with the program that I HAVE TO HAVE for the racing.

The system was working until last friday, and had been for months. The boxes share a common conection but are not linked as a net. then it started to drop folding boxes. by friday night all the boxes were not able to hook to the internet. after 8 hours and multiple calls to Cable Ones support center on saturday, and replacing the hub, and nothing staying connected, i asked for help.

The modem is a 4200 series Motorola and I cycled it the way Strikemaster suggested.

The only thing I can come up with is
A; they changed something in the connection protocol,
B; the modem has an internal glitch and needs to be replaced

Let me know what you think, as I have to go load racecars and get ready to leave in the AM for an event. Will be back on monday and continue the fight.
 
OK, it's Saturday and I was busier than three men over the last two days.

I'd suggest hooking it up as you want it, the router (30-second factory reset) connected to the modem and the Linux box hooked to the router. Note the MAC address of each unit, especially the router's WAN port. Make sure everything at least has the appearance of connecting to each other (LAN port indicator comes on on the router, modem, etc.)

Turn the whole mess off, including the modem, leave it overnight.

Fire it up in the morning, check for connectivity. If it doesn't work, leave it EXACTLY as it is, call the ISP. Ask them to reset the modem / CPE association they have for you (we call it "clearing the pair"), then have the ISP restart the modem. We're a little primitive here, so the techs have direct access to the box that controls our modems. The Cisco commands would be something like:

ubr7200: clear cable host 0004.5a74.f342 (to remove the MAC address of your computer)
ubr7200: clear cable modem 10.1.7.225 reset (sends a DOCSIS command to force a restart of your modem)

At this point, the ISP's system is waiting for the modem to reinitialize, get it's DOCSIS control parameters, and most importantly, getting a fresh hit from the DHCP server for an IP for your router's MAC address. If your ISP is good enough, they can tell you what the system sees as the current pairing. If it doesn't match what you have written in front of you, something is horribly amiss. Ask for a new modem.
 
Ok, made it back really late last night. I have everything written down, and am going to try it tonight, It will be off until tomorrow night when i get home from work.

Will let you know how we do,

THANK YOU for your help :D :D

Carl_Somerton, team 33
 
Well the cable co can see to the router, and the address'es are the same as I can see from this end. and I was informed that they know nothing about linux and that they do not know if their system can even work with it.

However if i use the router in between the box and the modem I can not get through. trying to reset it does nothing to change this.

If I try to use the router card as a hub to hook up everything else I get no connection, even though the system is acting like it see's the rest of the system.

Does anybody know someone who can walk me through the process of getting these linux boxes to connect up and use the one that will get online, soI can get this farm back in production

thank you to all for the help and ideas.
 
Well, I know squat about linux, but I can tell you Linksys has pretty good tech support. Some of them even speak English ;)

Give them a call, see if they can help. They once wrote me a special driver for a laptop that was less then standard..did it quick and it worked.

Luck

BillR
 
BillR said:
Well, I know squat about linux, but I can tell you Linksys has pretty good tech support. Some of them even speak English ;)
BillR

I know (i think) you don't really mean that last comment, but all the same, I'd greatly appreciate it if you refrained from making such comments. I know it seem rather nit-picky, but it's something that matters a lot to me, such ethnocentric comments, even in joke form, are bad.
 
Carnival Forces said:
I know (i think) you don't really mean that last comment, but all the same, I'd greatly appreciate it if you refrained from making such comments. I know it seem rather nit-picky, but it's something that matters a lot to me, such ethnocentric comments, even in joke form, are bad.

It was NOT and ethnocentric comment in anyway shape or form.

Any company doing business in any country has an implied obligation to provide service in the spoken language of the countries in which they choose to do business. It’s just a good business policy every company should have.

Don’t know where you live and I don’t care, but do not preach your liberal crap at me with out knowing anything about me. I don’t care how offended you are.

All I was trying to do was help a fellow folder in need. You might try the same.

BillR
 
one of the guys that was at the race this weekend heard me talking about my problem with my net and the folding farm being down.

Tonight he showed up and got me back on line. He knows alot more about linux than I do and he sat down and ten minutes later we are back in buisiness. the boxes are being fired up and starting to work as we speak ( write ) yeah

:D :D
 
And that's what friends are for :D

Glad to see you back up, now fold on ;)

Luck

BillR
 
Glad to see everything is back up and running :D


Keep on Folding!!

 
Back
Top