• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help needed working with Samsung SSD Firmware

imsuchageek

Weaksauce
2FA
Joined
Jan 5, 2006
Messages
93
I have a handful of samsung 2.5" 256GB SSD's. They are fairly old by SSD standards. One of them stopped working shortly after I started using it. Basically, it is detected as gibberish by the BIOS instead of its proper name. I'm convniced the firmware was corrupted somehow. Because the drive is EOL, its been impossible to find a firmware update utility for it. I have another drive, same model, same revision and everything. I would very much like to figure out a way to manually extract the firmware from a working drive, and flash it to the non-working drive.

A firmware update package from samsung would probably do the trick to.

Any advice on how to fix this drive would be greatly appreciated. The model is:

Model: 2.5" 256GB MLC SSD
P/N: MMD0E56G5MXP-0VB
0944 / REV 0 F/W VBM1801Q

Thanks
 
Thanks. I ended up stumbling across that and I have everything downloaded, but the drive isn't showing up at all on the latest motherboard i've connected it to. I'm not sure I'll be able to flash the firmware if I'm able to get it detected as jibberish again on another motherboard either. The drive was hardly used before it stopped working. It has a lot of life in it, or at least it should!!!! I imagine without it being detected I would have to have some high end equipment to reflash the firmware directly to the chip. There is probably some sort of UART interface on the controller board but the likelyhood of me finding out where and how to connect to it is probably one in a trillian. I'll hold out hope that someone holds the golden key or I get lucky :)

Thanks again,
Mike
 
Back
Top