Help needed with case fan

Askeptic

n00b
Hey Guys,

This is the last piece of the puzzle... I am putting a Corsair H60 on a 2600k chip and plan on over clocking using Asus TPM. I am estimating it will hit about 4.6 Ghz.

My question is, being that Corsair does not sell the fans on the H60 separately, what is a reliable fan that I could use to act as the "pull" in the push/pull config? I will be using Corsairs included fan as the push.

The supplied fan puts out 75 CFM and Corsair has recommended I purchase one to pull that is also around 75 CFM. The issue is noise levels. Any recommendations on a fan that can pull off 75 CFM without getting too loud?

Also, can Sandybridge do ~4.6 Ghz with a H60 only in a push configuration without worrying?

Thank you!

Reading through the forums, should I just bite the bullet and just buy two more fans so the push and pull fans are identical?

Reading through the forums, should I just bite the bullet and just buy two more fans so the push and pull fans are identical?

That would be best. It would give you the closest match on noise, speed, static pressure, etc...

Thank you, I think I have narrowed my choice down to either the Cool Master Excalibur or the Antec Tricool. Do you think I would loose a lot of cooling by going with the Antec to cut costs on two, or should I just go with two excalibur's ? (or something totally different)

Right now I'm using Antec Tricools push/pull with ghetto shrouds but have heard wonderful things about Scythe Gentle Typhoons. The nice thing about the Antec fans is that they perform fairly well for their price, run fairly quiet, and have the manual speed switch so you don't need to hook them up to a fan controller. By no means are they considered enthusiast level, but they're rather cheap in comparison to some of the others on the market and come in a variety of colors. I've never tried the Cool Master Excalibur so I can't say for certain.

If it were my rig, I'd get the Antec Tricool fans, and if they didn't perform well enough I'd switch them to intake/exhaust fans and run them on low speed.

So I just read a review on two new Zalman fans, and the ZM-F3-FDB fan looks like it has great pressure for the noise it produces, which is what you would want for a radiator. It outpaces the Thermalright TY-140 which is a highly regarded fan.

Does noise matter or is it more about the overclock?

Review: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1485/5/

You want strong PWM fans that run at low speed the majority of the time and only kick up when it's needed.

Excellent suggestion for the average user. My situation was less difficult, since I fold and therefore found it easier to find a constant setting that worked for my situation since my cpu rarely runs below 99-100%. If you're not the folding type, the aforementioned pwm fans are a good choice.

Back