Help needed w/ XP and IE7 - no browsing at all, tho valid IP, CMD line works.

Damn Dirty Ape

[H]ard|Gawd
Been asked to look at my wife's boss's mothers computer. 2004 Dell Dimension 2350 w/ XP on it. Not pro, just home. Problem started about 4 months ago that when she loads IE7, it will say 'Connecting' on the tab, but no activity ever comes of it. No 'waiting... looking up...' or anything on the status bar, just blank.

I went in, cleared out temp files, cookies, the usual suspects, nothing. Updated to SP3 , nothing. Same deal.

I see I cannot uninstall IE7 from programs, and remove components simply deletes the IE icons, so that's not going to work.
as mentioned, ping, tracert, that sort of cmd line thing works fine. Valid IP, roundtrip times latency is normal.

I'm not sure where to hit it from now, but cannot admit defeat and force a reinstall, as she has her computer 'set up just how she wants it' so I'm not going to suggest that until there is NOTHING else can be done.

Thoughts, comments ?

Have you ran a Spyware and Malware scan? I suggest downloading Malwarebytes and scanning with that. Then also download Spybot Search & Destroy. Both of those programs are well known for fixing browsing hijacking and malware that block surfing. I have one more idea but we'll talk about that after you try those 2 programs. Just make sure you run the Update on them for the latest definition before scanning. And do Full system scans.

Have you ran a Spyware and Malware scan? I suggest downloading Malwarebytes and scanning with that. Then also download Spybot Search & Destroy. Both of those programs are well known for fixing browsing hijacking and malware that block surfing. I have one more idea but we'll talk about that after you try those 2 programs. Just make sure you run the Update on them for the latest definition before scanning. And do Full system scans.

did that, I was suspicious but nothing found.. trojan, malware or virii

Installing Firefox is going to help you determine if it's the computer or if it's Internet Explorer. You don't have to keep it on after the troubleshooting is over.

You can also try to do a repair of IE7. Redownload it from Microsoft and install and repair it if it ask, or else just reinstall. You can also go into the windows folder and look for a hidden folder called ie7. In that folder you will find the uninstaller or possibly setup to repair (I can't rememember I'm not on an XP box with Ie7 right now).

Installing Firefox is going to help you determine if it's the computer or if it's Internet Explorer. You don't have to keep it on after the troubleshooting is over.

You can also try to do a repair of IE7. Redownload it from Microsoft and install and repair it if it ask, or else just reinstall. You can also go into the windows folder and look for a hidden folder called ie7. In that folder you will find the uninstaller or possibly setup to repair (I can't rememember I'm not on an XP box with Ie7 right now).

excellent idea on both fronts , thank you- she's the kind that has to sit there next to you and watch and aska million questions.. Not that I don't appreciate someone who wants to learn, but it takes about twice as long too :)

I did find a program called IEFIX, but it is from 2006 though. It seems to re-associate things, etc..

WINNER. FF worked fine so I knew I was dealing with a somehow borked ie7. Unhid the spuninst I think it was, removed and installed with a d/l from MS for IE7. Worked like a charm. Thanks loads!

Back