Help need to understand these readings.

TheNuker

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 12, 2001
Messages
398
4u6ir6.jpg


It's a Phenom II x3 720 running stock on a A790GXM-AD3 motherboard. Got it yesterday and it's running just fine, however I'm not sure what those readings mean.

What should I take into account? The core temps or one of those TMPIN0/1 values? Also, does anyone know what the THRM value is?

Also, I don't believe those fan readings are accurate. No fan runs at 280rpm.
 
for the processor its self go with the core temps.. tmpin1 should be the chipset temp.. tmpin0 is the cpu socket temp.. ignore the THRM temp since it will never change.. the fan readings are problem right.. im guessing you dont have anything plugged into the FANIN2 header? FANIN0 is cpu fan, FANIN1 is your chassis fan header FANIN2 would be your system fan header but it could be showing 280 because there actually is no header but the bios thinks there should be one..
 
With Everest the readings were more accurate for the fans, and the temperature readings were the same. So I guess it was just something wrong with Hardware Monitor, as I've opened the case and saw the fans rotating pretty fast.

However, something else has come up:

1nxut2.png


This TMPIN2 sensor wasn't there before, and it's registering a really high temperature. AMD Overdrive also shows this value, but as TMPIN3. Everest doesn't show it at all.

I'm guessing it's just a bogus sensor, as something running that hot from cold boot in the morning is hard to believe, and the fact it comes and goes on HWMonitor probably indicates it shouldn't be taken into account. Also, I've looked around and some people said it's an unused sensor on many AMD mobos, Others said it could be the northbridge, however the heatsink is properly seated and it's slightly warm to the touch.

Anyone has any input on what that could be? Should I simply ignore it?
 
ignore the sensor.. its probably a sensor that they didnt use on the motherboard by default it will usually show an insanely high number or an insanely low number.. my asus m2n-sli deluxe motherboard is the same way.. on that board the sensor bounces around from -125C and 125C so i know theres no sensor there and its just reading the default number..

i typically use speedfan since i already know which sensors are which on my board and just rename them.. i just set my GPU temp as my tray icon for speedfan and run coretemp so i can see my core temp in my tray as well without having to open speedfan.. both are lightweight in resources and accurate in my case..
 
Well that settles it then, thanks.

Now I can start actually using my new computer instead of watching sensors 24/7. Although I've never had issues with the computers I've built, I'm always paranoid whenever I assemble a new one until I get everything covered. I will take a look at speedfan (never bothered with it in previous builds), and coretemp looks like a good app to keep monitoring my hardware.
 
Back
Top