help, need to restore windows xp registry

mooseboy84

Weaksauce
man i really screwed up my computer and im not exactly sure how.

i think its related to Xfire. i hadnt run it in a while then was trying to update it. it was taking forever so when it was writing to the registry, i ctrl-alt-del and killed it. then my computer was getting kinda slow so i decided to restart.

all of a sudden when i restart my net doesnt work. i go to run some applications and then They dont work saying something is wrong. anyway, i think i need to restore my registry but cant remember how.

i know for windows 98 there used to be syscan/restore you could type into the console, then it will show you cab files you could back up from. is there something to do it that way with XP? im really pissed about this.

anyway, what can i do to try and get this back? i have system restore on but how do i access it? i tryed rebooting "last known configuration" but that didnt do crap. Ahh. i have 70gb worth of stuff on this drive and i just cant reformat. HELP! :(

yea boot to the repair console off your xp cd then try "chkdsk /r" it should then scan for about an hour, dont pay attention to the %completed because that number jumps around alot lol. if that doesnt fix it, type help at that screen and try some other commands that look good :p and if that doesnt work your SOL and its probably a virus, try an online virus scan like from securityresponse.symantec.com or the one from mcafee other then that i dont know what else to do
also this problem most likely has nothing to do with the registry, its probably a file/boot system error or like i said a virus, and also there would be no way to restore your regitry unless you recently exported a copy to a cd, who in the hell makes incrimental backups anyway?
lol hope that helps
-ghost6303

And if you have data you really need to save, put the drive in another machine and copy the data off.

man this recovery console is taking forever the first 50% went fast, yet im at 53% and its takin 20 mins.

is it repairing anything? will it have a message if anything is fixed?

It will tell you at the end if it fixes anything, but it takes forever because the "/r" switch makes it do a full surface scan of your hdd. Just wait it out, I've had good luck with it fixing alot of things.

man, after waiting it said it fixed something, but my problem still exhists.

it is something wrong with my DLL files. when my comp loads its in 640*480 and my video card drivers wont load, as well as many other things at startup saying there is some sort of problem with drivers.

argh.

ok, now here is somethiing that is really odd. i went to run sfc / scannow and Nothing happens.

the command prompt thing pops up for a sec, then nothing happens. is there are way to run system file checker off the cd?

ok, maybe I'm missing something here, but have you tried system restore?

ive Tried using system restore to no avail. it may have been because i uninstalled some applicaitons so i cant back up to that restore point. its really a pain in the arse.

i got SFC working, i had the wrong space in it. but it was odd because it didnt ask for the cdrom. i dunno i think something is really screwed up. :(

Back