Help need to reach ap

ke_742

n00b
Here is my scenario all truths.

My parents take away my verizon router/modem. It runs off of the new fiber optic network I am honestly quite fed up with the modem being taken away. So I decided to buy a wifi receiver in order to piggy back onto one of my neighbors wireless networks. Of course it is illegal if I access an encrypted network but having walked around with my ipod touch i have managed to find many unsecured networks near my house. Therefore it is not illegal to piggyback onto these networks. So I did some research and bought this... http://www.netgear.com/Products/Adapters/RangeMaxNextWirelessAdapters/WNDA3100.aspx
It was terrible I barely picked up a signal and it was intermittent. I believe the freakin best buy person told me it had a range of 2000ft. because wireless g has a range of 200ft and it said 10x more range and 15x more coverage than wireless g on the box... I wikipediaed wireless n and it only has a range of 70 meters a mere 210 ft.

What do I need to receive more signals and from more people??? I took a look at this.... http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...578138&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

would this work?

I have no clue on wireless stuff... I figured that the signals reaching my house are pretty weak to begin with or don't even reach my house at all, so how is would even the best of receivers pick up signals that don't even reach them?? Yet they advertise a range for wifi receivers, I'm so confused XD

Thanks,
Strike

encrypted or not using someone elses wifi with out their knowledge or permission is not only a bad idea but it is illegal.

I would work with your parents to find out why they removed your modem and start doing as they ask so they stop taking it away.

I know that is not the answer you wanted but it is the truth... :(

as of the forums rules.
"(18) You will not discuss, suggest, engage, or encourage any ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES. Links provided to locations that deal with any such activity are also expressly forbidden"

Back