Help! Need resistor to slow down 120mm fan

I just purchased a Y.S. Tech 120mm (FD1212257B-2I, 12volt, 5.52w) fan that I am going to stick into my case. It has the normal 2-wires leading to the molex connector.

When I plugged it into the PSU, it uses all 12 volts and spins fast, which suprisingly to me is very loud.

At my local retailer, we also plugged it into the Antec 380w PSU (the one that comes with the Sonata) using the 7 watt fan connections and the sound is perfect. Unfortunately, I don't own this PSU.

I would like to add a resistor to one of the fan leads to reduce the voltage down to approx. 7 watts. Can anyone tell me what resistor to purchase? Hopefully I can purchase it at my local Radio Shack. (If you can provide a link to resistor, that would be cool). Would I install the resistor on the red wire?

sPaNk

Getting 7 volts is simple. All you have to do is take the ground wire (black) on your fan to the the 5 volt rail on your molex. The diffrence between 12v and 5v is 7v. There are plenty more topics on this if you need more help.

e_t

Back