Help! My Win2k installation

2k3eblade

Gawd
My friend gave me an old laptop that was supposedly broken. I got it to work and installed win2k (I don't have the recovery disk for this laptop but I figured any install cd works fine like the WinXP installs) but the key on the laptop doesn't work. It is an oem key if it helps any. Do I have to contact Microsoft to get a valid key or am I screwed? :confused:

Double check that you didn't mis-type the key from the sticker or use the key that goes with the CD you are installing from.

Microsoft has different keys that are for different types of installer discs - OEM, Retail, Volume License, etc.

If you're not mistyping the key, then you're probably mixing/matching a key that is not for the installer disc you are using.

I'm thinking my best bet is to contact the vendor and try to get the recovery disk from them. Because I think the win2k disk im using is not the right one for this key :(

Call microsoft and tell them you are reinstalling the OS on the laptop and you are using a retail disk and the OEM cd-key isn't working. They will do some prompts for numbers and "voila" it works!

Call microsoft and tell them you are reinstalling the OS on the laptop and you are using a retail disk and the OEM cd-key isn't working. They will do some prompts for numbers and "voila" it works!

What number do I call? There all so many on the microsoft site and some charge for the support. I did a hardware upgrade on a laptop running Vista that needed revalidation and that didn't cost me anything :confused:

Back