Help my system is cookin!!

MrSteel74

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 17, 2000
Messages
1,632
Not sure if this is the right spot for this thread but here we go. Just like my title says my system is cooking itself we just got our 1st taste of summer in Chicago my computer room hit 82 degrees today. Just for kicks I decided to check my temps and well this is what I got:

temps.jpg


As you can see my system is burning up all these temps are at idle, I built this rig in March and needless to say my temps weren't anywhere near this, my computer room was usally around 65 in the winter. Everything is stuffed into a Cosmos 1000 case which I have now come to find out sucks in the cooling department. I have 2 120mm 62cfm fans bringing air in and 3 120mm 44cfm fans sucking air out. The fan on the 780i chipset, 8800GTX and the fan on my Xigmatek S1283 are running full blast. I even dropped a 80mm fan next to each harddrive cause they were both above 43 degrees celcius. Am I doomed to horrible temps with this case and just have to drop the money down on a new one? Any tips would be helpful if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.
 
WOW and I am bothered when my temps in my P-180 and 182 mobo temps get past 32c I though those 1000 cases had good air flow , what were your temps when the ambient was the 65f. Those DTH were getting good reviews as far as i have read what were the temps on the cores in the cooler weather. I have read that the people with the 8800GTX have heat problems with this card. Do you have any side panel fans blowing in on the mobo, that helped when i had a coolermaster 5 I would check those temps with like speed fan or coretemp or realtemp to see if your getting a good reading n the true temp that the system is reporting that case is rated very good for cooling with all the fan it has in it running at 1200 rpm according to stock settings, check for dust on the heat sink. More air flow is in order i would think there is room for bigger fans in that case also i believe.
 
My temps at 65 degrees that's easy that's the temp today in Chicago gotta love weather in Chicago don't like it wait 10 minutes it'll change. My temps are 40, 40, 40 and 38 for the cores, 55 for the GPU temp, and 29 and 30 for the HDD's. I've used several temp monitors and they all read within a degree or 2 of each other. Like I said sadly I have found out the Cosmos 1000 sucks for airflow there is just one fan at the bottom of the case, 1 at the rear and 2 at the top of the case. I bought a Scythe Kama Bay it replaces 3 5 1/2" bays with an adapter for a 120MM fan so I now have a extra intake fan. The Cosmos 1000 has no side panel fans but it does have sound dampening foam on both side panels. The selling point for this case was it's silence but man these temps are killing me I guess that's what I get for reading only a handful of reviews.
 
Yeah ..., unfortunately some people found out too late that the "negative" pressure cooling doesn't really work as advertised, especially for hot running video cards and cpu's.

Some suggestions - leave the side left side door open and have a fan blowing into it. Or, buy the side door that comes with the Cosmos S that has the big side fan as it also fits the regular cosmos.

If you haven't already, also get the hard drive cooler fan bracket for the Cosmos from Cooler Master. I think these are offered for free and you only pay shipping (?).

Last, but not least, get some AC!
 
I'd like to get the side door for the Cosmos S case but sadly you can't get it seperately at least I haven't had any luck finding it. The fan braket adapter I'm on the list to get just waiting for Cooler Master to ship it to me. I'm considering peeling off the sound dampening foam cause I think it is acting as a insulator as opposed to letting some of the heat bleed out through a bare side panel. It makes since to me but then again I could be talking out of my ass :p.
 
:( They don't have your side panel in right now, check back as often as you can. it always changes.
 
AC just cool the room down. OR customize your case a bit by cutting grills making for better airflow.

You could also underclock in the summer overclock in the winter thats what I do.
 
http://cmusashop.coolermaster-usa.com/catalog/index.php

Should have your side panel.

I would start looking at other things in your system. How were the temperature in the case at lower ambient temperatures? I have a 1000 have do not have any of these issues, I removed all the stock fans (because they were too loud) and went with slower quieter ones.

At lower ambient temperatures the case performs like a champ never had any issues during the winter and our very cool spring. I'm surprised you thought the stock case fans were loud I could barely hear the thing going. I bought a slimline dell to use as a media hub and that thing is actually louder than my Cosmos running stock cooling.
 
Back
Top