Help my parents watch tv together again :)

SticKx911

2[H]4U
I have little knowledge or experience in the home theater world so I don't know much about what is out there, prices, or what's a good buy so hopefully someone here can help me gather some ideas.

My dad is loosing his hearing a bit and is just too stubborn to go get some aids. He's really not all that bad off yet, but the biggest issue he/they have is he tends to watch TV at ridiculous volumes.

I want to get him a headphone setup for Christmas, but there are a few things that make it a little more complicated than just a plug and play headset.

-Needs to be bluetooth (or just cordless-ish) setup. They have like an 80" dlp tv that he sits a bit away from. It can be some sort of receiver box on the end table and corded headphones though. It just can't be a 20' cable drug across the whole living room.
-Needs to be able to work while the tv still gets audio for everyone else.
-I know very little about their setup so it'll have to be somewhat versatile.
-He's not an audiophile, but he'll be able to tell a cheap $10 set from a mid range one.

Parts Express has this wireless audio transmitter that I think will handle variable line level signal no problem. But getting that signal is the hard part. Many TV's allow either internal speakers -OR- the RCA output. A receiver with pre-amp outputs for the mains would be ideal as you can have speakers and line level at the same time.

Then you can either use a standard headphone amplifier with corded headphones at the couch (no batteries or maintanence) or use some wireless headphones.

I also have an 82" Mitsubishi, but will admit I have never used the built-in speakers,

you'd probably get more input from the audio section. HTPC this is not.

you'd probably get more input from the audio section. HTPC this is not.
I actually thought I put it in the audio section originally. Not sure if it was moved or if I f'd up. Thanks for the heads up.

Back