~HELP!!! my new machine unable to boot

jazzwall

n00b
It was working fine this morning. But I just got back from work... turned it on, and it posted fine, but wouldn't boot into XP. I inserted a bootable CD, but it would not get to the point of booting from it either.

At bootup, it shows that the HD's are recognized and the raid 0 setup is healthy... then it starts listing the PCI devices and gets stuck at "ACPI Controller (IRQ 9)".... it's a real bummer :(

Oh, and in case it's relevant: It allows me to go into the bios at the very beginning of the startup...

And in case this is relevant: when I turn off the computer using power button in the front... (NOT the analog PSU switch in the back), the optical ps2 mouse still stays on.... :confused:

Here are the specs:
AMD 4800+
Asus A8N SLI Premium
2 sets of Corsair TWINX Dual Channel 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz (2x512MB)
Antec TPII 550 power supply
Antec p180 case
2x74gb WD Raptor drives - sata
320gb WD Caviar drive - sata
1 x evga 6600gt sli card

Any & all help would be REALLY appreciated...

Thanks,

-Jazz

Update: I just talked to ASUS tech support... seems like a problem with the motherboard's memory controller. They had me remove one set of memory... and then the machine booted fine. Then I replaced that set with a the other set... and it still worked fine. The machine only got stuck if all four sticks were in place.

-Jazz

I'm using 1006.4. But soon after talking to tech support, the mobo stopped even posting... so I just sent it back to the retailer for an exchange. I'm very pissed off... by the time I get my computer up and running, all the parts I used will probably be cheaper than what I paid for (especially the AMD 4800+ cpu and the video card).

-Jazz

(ressurecting, i know)

but i had the same EXACT problems as you, my ram refused to boot in the dual channel slots, so I'm stuck using single channel with it.

After doing that it started booting, but would stop at the ACPI controller, after disabling that in the BIOS it began booting fine, and it has been working great for a week now, though i'm curious to know what I am missing out in single channel mode compared ot dual, and if it is worth waiting a few weeks to get an RMA from asus (newegg wont take it back).

emuporium said:
(ressurecting, i know)

but i had the same EXACT problems as you, my ram refused to boot in the dual channel slots, so I'm stuck using single channel with it.

After doing that it started booting, but would stop at the ACPI controller, after disabling that in the BIOS it began booting fine, and it has been working great for a week now, though i'm curious to know what I am missing out in single channel mode compared ot dual, and if it is worth waiting a few weeks to get an RMA from asus (newegg wont take it back).

I returned the mobo and got a new one... problem solved. When you spend >$150 on a mobo, you shouldn't have to deal with such things.

blah! i better do the same.

Right now it'll only work in single channel, and will only work when defaulted to 333 mhz memory instead of 400 :(

Back