help me with this gtx 750 ti issue

Pandemic

n00b
I bought an asus gtx 750 ti 2gb oc for a very cheap price, lower than 20 bucks. The seller told
me that he bought it from aliexpress and had some issues like slowing down the computer's boot time
and also having driver issues also there is an exclamation point when you look at the device manager
and no nvidia control panel. So the first thing that came to my mind is that the guy bought a gpu that has
mining bios in it, and I can fix it by flashing the stock rom in it. Well it didn't work at all,
I tried many bioses and still no luck. I want to point out the path I followed so you can tell me what did
I miss or did wrong.

I have uploaded the images of pcb and screenshot from gpu-z, as you can see gpu-z cannot read everything properly.
in images one of the vram is barely readable, I can say that it is pretty much the same with others
variant number is also barely readable but I can say that it is gm107-400-a2, whenever I try to clean the die it fades more and more.

Motherboard gives 62 postcode at boot
I downloaded the nvflash 5.218, as they were saying best version for maxwell but I tried every version
nevertheless, put the nvflash files in C drive
disabled the gtx 750 ti in device manager
Ran cmd with admin privileges typed cd c:\nvflash then nvflash -6 romfile.rom
enabled gtx 750 ti in device manager then restarted the pc

Please tell me if I done something wrong, if the everything is right then what can I do to resurrect this gpu? Could reballing solve the problem?

Attachments

• gp.gif
    gp.gif
    22 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-3719.JPG
    IMG-3719.JPG
    408.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-3720.JPG
    IMG-3720.JPG
    412.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-3721.JPG
    IMG-3721.JPG
    426.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-3722.JPG
    IMG-3722.JPG
    341.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-3723.JPG
    IMG-3723.JPG
    494.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-3724.JPG
    IMG-3724.JPG
    440.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-3725.JPG
    IMG-3725.JPG
    485.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-3726.JPG
    IMG-3726.JPG
    437.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-3727.JPG
    IMG-3727.JPG
    441.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-3728.JPG
    IMG-3728.JPG
    402 KB · Views: 0
  • PIC_20180927_184246.JPG
    PIC_20180927_184246.JPG
    350.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sounds like one of the cards that's 'flashed' to a higher version card than it actually is. I think you're hosed unfortunately. Fixing those cards is a lot of work.

If it's priced "too good to be true," then it probably is. Especially with a complex piece of electronics like a video card.

They buy mountains of closeout OEM cards in bulk at maybe a few dollars each, and then flash a modified BIOS that let's them sell it for five times what they paid for it. labor is cheap, and shipping is cheap.

The card itself is not guaranteed to work all that well. And as long as the BIOS screen and your windows device manager say GTX 750 Ti, then it's not going to be noticed by most.

I've never bought anything from aliexpress, and it looks like I never will. There's a special place in hell for folks who modify GPUs like that. I call that place "Florida."

Edit:

I just went to their website. It's amazing that none of their GTX 750 GPUs have an average review under 4.5/5. Everything they sell seems to be pretty close to perfect. That's great!

Bunch o' assholes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like one of the cards that's 'flashed' to a higher version card than it actually is. I think you're hosed unfortunately. Fixing those cards is a lot of work.
From aliexpress? Might not even be a 750 Ti. Probably a gts 450 or gt 640, etc. Post CPU-Z info of the card.
If it's priced "too good to be true," then it probably is. Especially with a complex piece of electronics like a video card.

They buy mountains of closeout OEM cards in bulk at maybe a few dollars each, and then flash a modified BIOS that let's them sell it for five times what they paid for it. labor is cheap, and shipping is cheap.

The card itself is not guaranteed to work all that well. And as long as the BIOS screen and your windows device manager say GTX 750 Ti, then it's not going to be noticed by most.
I've never bought anything from aliexpress, and it looks like I never will. There's a special place in hell for folks who modify GPUs like that. I call that place "Florida."

Well at the very beginning I didn't buy it, I would never buy a gpu from aliexpress. On gpu-z it shows gtx 750ti, I also check the die it says gm107-400-a2 on it.

Pandemic,

I know you didn't buy it from aliexpress. I just mean that the company is horrible.

On gpu-z it shows gtx 750ti, I also check the die it says gm107-400-a2 on it.

Of course GPU-Z says 750 Ti that's part of the firmware hack. Post the screenshot, because they can't fake the other stats. It may or may not be legit.

Well at the very beginning I didn't buy it, I would never buy a gpu from aliexpress. On gpu-z it shows gtx 750ti, I also check the die it says gm107-400-a2 on it.
There's also unscrupulous companies that buy the junk in bulk and resell it from places like the West Coast and TX. I've seen fakes being slung from within the states as well.

It doesn't mater if the die has the correct part umber - that is also easy to change for relatively cheap. People have been remarking Silicon Packages since the dark ages.

https://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=208

When people make next-to-nothing, the cost of taking the heat sink off and remarking the die with an "official" looking stamp is very small. And you don't have to get it anywhere as perfect as the one I linked above to fool 95% of buyers :D

See here for a similar remarked GPU:

IF you want us to help figure out our mystery card,you can start by posting high-resolution pictures of the PCB. Even if they remark the GPU die, they probably won't touch the rest of the chips. Memory part numbers will give you he brand, the density and type, so you can figure out what generation the PCB is actually from.

Last edited:
post a pic of the pcb and die.
Of course GPU-Z says 750 Ti that's part of the firmware hack. Post the screenshot, because they can't fake the other stats. It may or may not be legit.
F you want us to help figure out our mystery card,you can start by posting high-resolution pictures of the PCB. Even if they remark the GPU die, they probably won't touch the rest of the chips. Memory part numbers will give you he brand, the density and type, so you can figure out what generation the PCB is actually from.
I edited the post please check it.

Yeah, the card is supposed to have clearly-marked GPU model number and clearly-marked memory chips, even after you remove the heatsink. See here:

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9QLzAvNDIzMzk2L29yaWdpbmFsL1dvcmstQmVuY2guanBn.jpg

The fact that it does not screams remarked chips. Also, there's no officla marketingas on the rest of the PCB (Nvidia copyright, RohS, oor a model

It could possibly be a GTX 750 Ti, but with slower ram chips attached? I mean, since the cards support a plethora of ram types (see GT1030 using DDR4 in official channels, and the laptop 750 Ti chips FREQUENTLY used GDDR3 to reduce power. Anything is possible, if they bought a tray of reject GPUs and decided to build cheap cards for them, with DDR4?

Last edited:
Well the Samsung ram chip shows up as 512mb gddr5 if they're real, but I suspect they're fakes because there's no way the etching should come off that easily unless you're using alcohol to clean them:
http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps4/K4G41325FC-HC03
Yeah, the card is supposed to have clearly-marked GPU model number and clearly-marked memory chips, even after you remove the heatsink. See here:

View attachment 107000

The fact that it does not screams remarked chips. Also, there's no officla marketingas on the rest of the PCB (Nvidia copyright, RohS, oor a model

It could possibly be a GTX 750 Ti, but with slower ram chips attached? I mean, since the cards support a plethora of ram types (see GT1030 using DDR4 in official channels, and the laptop 750 Ti chips FREQUENTLY used GDDR3 to reduce power. Anything is possible, if they bought a tray of reject GPUs and decided to build cheap cards for them, with DDR4?
I always use isopropyl alcohol to clean my hardware even on vram, if there are any residue from thermal pads, the gpu model was like that when I get the card from that person. So what should I do? I think it is bios related, what do you guys think?
here is the back of the cardand with cooler installed, finally, the forum insisted on not uploading it

Attachments

• PIC_20180927_181312.JPG
    PIC_20180927_181312.JPG
    543.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PIC_20180927_181351.JPG
    PIC_20180927_181351.JPG
    301.8 KB · Views: 0
Yeah, the part numbers from TSMC are identical on the bare pcb I posted earlier. Your mystery card is a different chip.

Unfortunately, you're going to have trouble searching fr something like that on Google. I would give up and toss this in the trash.

Best case: it's a newer rev of a GTX 750 Ti, built in Asus factory then sold on grey market, with a likely failed test result for the factory it was built in.

Worst case: who the fuck knows. This thing could destroy your PC in a fit of spontaneous fireworks.

I know I've never seen a GTX 750 Ti card with that combination of ports, but maybe I'm mistaken? No DP, and VGA are major suspects. IT could be a built for China revision.

Last edited:
Yeah, the part numbers from TSMC are identical on the bare pcb I posted earlier. Your mystery card is a different chip.

Unfortunately, you're going to have trouble searching fr something like that on Google. I would give up and toss this in the trash.

Best case: it's a newer rev of a GTX 750 Ti, built in Asus factory then sold on grey market, with a likely failed test result for the factory it was built in.

Worst case: who the fuck knows. This thing could destroy your PC in a fit of spontaneous fireworks.

I know I've never seen a GTX 750 Ti card with that combination of ports, but maybe I'm mistaken? No DP, and VGA are major suspects. IT could be a built for China revision.
I dont want to give up on it, it is worth same value as 400$ in where I live, Turkey. I still believe that if I find the right bios it would work.

The rear outputs and rop / tmu / shader actually matches an Asus 750 Ti. Might be a legit card with wrong bios. But with the gpu id scraped off, and missing typical screening on the pcb, I think it might be a knock-off Chinese card that simply doesn't work.

Yeeah, I found it.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6...-2gb-oc-edition-video-card-review/index2.html

Could just be after-hour runs from the same factory, with some of the markings missing (no quality control). But would definitely use the same BIOS.

see how the die stamp is two different colors, its a fake.
edit: and coming off.

159575_IMG-3725.jpg

Yeeah, I found it.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6...-2gb-oc-edition-video-card-review/index2.html

Could just be after-hour runs from the same factory, with some of the markings missing (no quality control). But would definitely use the same BIOS.
see how the die stamp is two different colors, its a fake.
edit: and coming off.

I have contacted to asus and they said "Based on review I am seeing that your warranty would end 2018/11/13 but the warranty would be valid for China. You would need to have the unit serviced in the region that the warranty is valid for. If the unit is sent to North American region it would be indicated as Out of Warranty and there would be an Out of Warranty cost associated to the repair there would also be a $150 diagnostic fee that would need to be paid prior to the RMA being processed.

So it is not fake, I guess, then what could be the problem?

I have contacted to asus and they said "Based on review I am seeing that your warranty would end 2018/11/13 but the warranty would be valid for China. You would need to have the unit serviced in the region that the warranty is valid for. If the unit is sent to North American region it would be indicated as Out of Warranty and there would be an Out of Warranty cost associated to the repair there would also be a $150 diagnostic fee that would need to be paid prior to the RMA being processed.

So it is not fake, I guess, then what could be the problem?
what are they basing that off of? s/n? p/n? what info did you send to them. you are gonna end up paying way more than what this is worth if it is even real. it really does look like you got a cheap Chinese knockoff/scam card.

what are they basing that off of? s/n? p/n? what info did you send to them. you are gonna end up paying way more than what this is worth if it is even real. it really does look like you got a cheap Chinese knockoff/scam card.
I gave send them the photo of the back of the card, they checked it through that numbers. yes, mostly probably I will end paying more than what it is worth, but what if I get it reballed?

I gave send them the photo of the back of the card, they checked it through that numbers. yes, mostly probably I will end paying more than what it is worth, but what if I get it reballed?
well that's up to you, only you can decide when to stop tossing money at it.
the label can be faked too, but I didn't se one...
oops missed that other pic.

If it's out of warranty in your region, a $150 diagnostic is only going to tell you that "yup the card doesn't work" and then you'll be out $170 total and still no working card. A $150 diagnostic fee is supposed to tell you that it's not worth the effort, that's vastly above the card's value. $20 was above the card's value given that it was known not to work.

If you have to send it into China for warranty work, could you take advantage of the cheap-but-slow international shipping that makes a store like aliexpress work? Or does that require that you "know someone" at a dock somewhere?

You can't service these parts yourself for - it's not the 1980s anymore. A qualified ech will have to diagnose the problem, and that means sending it to Asus.

Last edited:
Wow, warranty service in developing nation--good luck.

Better to cut your losses and sell this card as-is with what you know about it so someone else can take it and go from there. If someone in China buys it maybe they can make it work. But I wouldn't waste time on what is basically a $45 card today.

Never listen to SamirD. The dude's a lunatic.

(Just kidding. He's a great dude.)

Back