help me with my MS Outlook mess.

I installed a new hard drive for my dad, new version of XP, (he was on ME), new version of Office XP, and slid all his old data, (read: old version of outlook etc) onto the new drive in a subfolder /old hard drive.

he gets home and realizes eh doesnt have his contact lists and inbox mail.

shoot! forgot about that!

how do i get office XP to access/import his old contact lists and emails from the old version of Office sitting in that subfolder?

thanks.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you would click (in Outlook XP):
File
Import and Export
Select import from another program or file
Select Personal Folder File (.pst)
Browse to where you copied the file over
And hit next.

Let me know if that isn't what you were asking for.

thats what i read in the MS knowledge base, but that knowledge base seemed to imply that you had to initiate a backup first to create a PST. PSTs always exist then?

They are usually stored here on an xp machine:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

But to do a backup, same steps:

Import and Export
Export to a file or folder
Personal File Folder
etc.

unfortunately a backup is not possible at this time. my dad claims there are no *.pst files on his machine right now either.

Hmm...not sure what else to tell ya on that one. We are on an exchange server here at work, so don't use pst's as the main source of mail. So I can't really play around with where the emails are saved by default. What happened to the old hard drive ?

I'll see if I can google some stuff up for you in the meantime.

Local Settings is a hidden folder, you may not have copied it off. If you didn't, and you wiped the old drive, you may need to recover the old drive first.

- Qualm

Agreed, does the original operating system, ME, use the XP way of storing user settings ? Like is there a C:\documents and settings\ etc on windows ME ? I made sure to bypass that OS, so I'm not too familiar with it.

Originally posted by Qualm
Local Settings is a hidden folder, you may not have copied it off. If you didn't, and you wiped the old drive, you may need to recover the old drive first.

- Qualm

how can i recover the old drive? i am pretty sure i did a cut/paste on that bastard..

btw, ME is a piece of SHIT in no uncertain terms, the WORST OS ive ever used.

How you recover it depends on how you deleted it. Did you reformat the drive? Install a new OS? Copy new files to it? Or just delete everything and it's been blank since then?

Norton Utilities/SystemWorks can help you recover from the latter. If you reformatted, repartitioned, etc. you're going to need specialized software.

- Qualm

I'd imagine it would be there on the new one then. It's prolly hidden or something. Need someone familiar with ME to explain the directory structure.

Back