• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help me with an old boxen

magnusvir

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 7, 2004
Messages
1,165
Ok, so here is the problem. The old family dell has been replaced by the current cpu/combo in my rig with 512 mb of RAM. I have been using DSL for some time now and have some problems.

1) I cannot get DSL to work as a server using Samba or Webmin. Samba work fine but I cannot see the Linux box in my Windows network.
2) nmblookup does not yield a network IP even though I can access the internet through the box.
3) I can also not get VNC to work. This is the most important thing b/c I was planning to use the Linux to prcatice some Java

Can anyone help me with this? If not, can anyone recommend me a good distro I can use that can run folding w/ 128mb of RAM. Folding takes a max of about 20 MB so I cannot have an overhead greater than that. Fold-server will not work because I have only 1 NIC.

Thanks for looking/helping. :)

 
1) What happens if you type \\boxname in windows rather than browsing for it? How about \\BOX.IP.HERE?
2) Are you running "nmblookup boxname"? From what machine?
3) What happens when you run "vncserver"?

Is this an installed copy or are you running off cd?
 
I may be misunderstanding the problem and question, but would using a hardware router/firewall fix your DSL problem?
 
Mattman said:
I may be misunderstanding the problem and question, but would using a hardware router/firewall fix your DSL problem?
I think he means Damn Small Linux
 
mage, the answers to your questions:

The network is very basic. Basically it is Internet>>cable modem>>Router>>windows and DSL box. The windows IP is 192.168.1.100 and the Linux one should light up as 192.168.1.101. The hardware itself works b/c I can access internet with my DSL box.

1) I tried what you said but there is a message that "network path not found"
2) I do nmblookup from my DSL box. It searches and then says IP not found even though I can access internet.
3) I can run VNCserver from Linux just fine. It is just that due to the fact that both boxes do not see an IP address, the VNC viewer in Windows cannot connect.

Thanks for the help.
 
What happens if you try to mount it loopback (so to speak)? EG on the dsl box do:
mount //localhost/share /mnt/wherever -o username=magnus,password=14m1337
The other possibility is that the daemon isn't running. Try this:
ps | grep "smbd\|nmbd"
and there should be responses like this:
root 582 0.0 0.1 6652 600 ? Ss Jun07 0:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
root 584 0.0 0.0 6652 344 ? S Jun07 0:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
root 586 0.0 0.1 3488 660 ? Ss Jun07 0:05 /usr/sbin/nmbd -D
root 1889 0.0 0.1 1424 540 pts/6 S+ 18:10 0:00 grep smbd\|nmbd
The numbers and the command lines don't really matter, just that there's a smbd (first two lines) and a nmbd (3rd line) running.
What this command does is it takes the list of running processes (ps) and pipes the output to grep, which looks for strings in its input. The | means alternation: match either this or this. The reason for the \ and the ""s is to protect the shell from interpreting the | as another pipe. Why you need both, I have no idea, but life isn't fair and neither is bash. Then the output of grep gets sent to the default place, the console. If you thought there would be a lot of output, you could further pipe it to less and be able to scroll through it, but in this case you don't need it.
 
Back
Top