Help me! Weird issues w/ FiOS service (tech support couldnt figure out)

jaypeezee

Gawd
Ok, so here's the rundown; I was on Vacation from 09/01 to 09/10. Prior to leaving my FiOS internet (20/5 service) was running fine/normal. When I returned, I RDP'd into my desktop via my iPhone (first encounter). I thought it was a little strange that the session was a bit laggy - didn't think anything of it and assumed it was my 3G connection.

When I got home and actually used my desktop, I noticed webpages weren't loading as fast as they normally do. I downloaded a small file and noticed my download rate was somewhere in the 20-50/kbps range - this is strange because from the same site/server I usually average 1-1.5/mbps. I figured something was up with the server.

After about an hour or so of use, I noticed intermittent spurts of sluggish browsing. I went to dslreports.com and conducted a speed test - My results; 00498 / 04603 Kbps. Assuming it was something to do with inactivity while i was gone (i didn't know what to think), I reset the router, disconnected the coax, and left off for 30 sec. Plugged everything back in, ran the test again, same results.

So here's where it starts getting weird. I try downloading some stuff from Usenet. In SABnzbd, it shows I am downloading at 2000 Kbps (my normal speed). I re-run a speed test, same results as above; 0498/4603 Kbps. I tried three different locations, all in CA and same reults - all the test up until this point were using JAVA based test. I decide to use the Flash Based test - My Results; 19803 / 4500 - WTF !? - Tried downloading the same file from earlier; same results 20-25kbps.

Tried running the test on three different computers, using three different OS's; OSX, Ubuntu, Windows 7 - All results; Java Based test said my download speeds were less than 1Mbps and Flash said 20Mbps.

ping different sites, my response times were in the 20-25ms range with occasional time outs - not specific to one server/site. It timed out once on youtube.com, adobe.com, and yahoo.com

tried running trace routes and everything looked good, like above would see an occasional spike in response time or a time out.

Called FiOS tech support and was on the phone for an hour - The tech released my IP, reset my ONT, and still nothing...

For shits and giggles, I know this wouldn't have anything to do with it but I changed my DNS to OpenDNS - same problem exist.

So what do I do next? The FiOS tech support guy is shipping me a new modem so I should be receiving it in the next couple days however I'm afraid this will not fix the problem. :( The tech support guy was baffled and a little upset he couldn't get anything to solid to send up to the higher tier techs - "a simple speed test" is not enough and of course every time he ran a ping or tracert when connected to my computer my ping times were "within the correct amount" - In all fairness to him, he believed me and was just as clueless as I was but knew without "solid" proof the upper tier techs wouldn't take a look at my issue.

did you ever bypass the router?

also, they should be able to tell you what speed your modem is syncing up at, I would think.

Back