Help me tweak my PHP/MySQL/MediaWiki install

Version_3

2[H]4U
Server is a VM, Windows 2K3 SP2 on a VMWare ESX server. 1GB memory, 2.4GHz AMD Opteron 280. OS/PHP/wwwroot all on C:, mysql db on D:/. The server is about 500Ft away in a lab DC we have setup here. We're on the same network, internal. My laptop, Dell D610, Windows XP SP2, 1.5GB ram, and wireless with a very good signal. The server is running IIS 6.0.

I had issues when I was running a VERY small PHPBB3 install on it (forum size was ~10) with 4 users. I was using it as a temporary knowledge base for the 4 users.

Now I have moved to MediaWiki as the KB, and it performs the same way.

The main page takes 10-15 seconds to 'fully load' whether its a refresh or just after clearing cache/cookies. By fully load, I mean the progress bar at the bottom of IE takes that long to fully fill up and go away. Sometimes it takes the whole bar for the page to load, other times it loads right away, and the bar takes that much longer to go away.

By doing a search that I know will take me to a KB article, the page loaded within 2 seconds, and the progress bar went away after another 6 seconds. Timings gathered while no other users are accessing it - they're at lunch.

I've installed and configured APC so there's a cacher. That didn't seem to help. I have disabled compression on the mediawiki localsettings with no change. PHP was updated this morning to the newest version (read: uninstalled old version completely, installed new version and unzipped the full package to C:\PHP) and it still performs the same way.

I know if I had a config or extension issue, the bottom of my pages would give the error. None are showing.
I have also checked and the main page is using includes that are local.

Keep in mind the performance was the same with phpbb3 with no apc installed or configured.

Get IIS6 off your machine and install apache. You can even do some testing by installing WAMP, It should only take about 5 min. to setup. Once installed just copy your web documents from your other server folder into the one created by WAMP and then do some testing.

After your satisfied with the speed upgrades then you should install Apache, and PHP from scratch. This will take a little longer but can increase performance also.

Turned off IIS, installed apache, un/reinstalled PHP and configured everything. Pages pop to life and finish loading very quickly. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back