Help me to like Rome: Total War

I bought this game for Xmas with some trepidation. I played Shogun:Total War some time ago and got a bit sick of the generally repetitive nature of fighting battles, enemy runs off, attacks on next turn with same troops, though I thought the game itself was still pretty good. I'd thought that Rome might have improved things a lot, but as soon as I tried my first battle, the same old feeling of mild boredom set in as it feels so similar to Shogun.

What am I missing here? Remember that I did enjoy the first game for a while, so it's not like I hate the whole concept, but my run through of the Rome:TW practice scenario might as well have been the same as playing 'Shogun with knobs on' for all I could tell.

Any input welcome.

I wish I could help you, but I felt the same way you did. I bought it, played it for maybe 20 hours total.....and that has really hard for me to do. I ended up just letting my friend take it. I guess now I have to go back to RON until AOE3 comes out.

As far as similar games go, I'd really recommend Battle for Middle Earth. If you're looking for a good RTS, this is my new #1. If you're looking for historical RTS, sorry. I played a demo of Total War then passed to wait for BFME. Just offering an alternative...

omg you must be interested in

1st. obviously large scaled close infantry battle. think lotr, last samuari, gladiator. if you liked those battle scenes, you'll love this one. if you don't, then you won't like it.

2nd. international politics and diplomacy. thats what makes this game fun.

3rd. a bit of knowledge of history

well RON was a good game. its just the battle scenes were no where as spectacular as this. even tho it was more complex...

You have to like actually using tactics in your battles, not just outbuilding the enemy. If an enemy has more than a couple dozen guys left after a battle, you screwed up. The game is fairly tactically rich, if you manage to convince the AI to not be incredibly stupid (harder difficulties). I almost never autoresolve battles, I've fought about 200, and I'm still not bored with almost any of them. Taking barbarian towns was getting a little old, but now I'm fighting Romans, so that spices things up. A nice thing is that different civilization types are really different tactically to fight against. The first time I fought the Greeks was a learning experience........still haven't fought the Selucids, the Egyptians, and a number of other major groups.

I agree, to make it interesting you need to fight a force thats bigger than yours and come out ahead. This will require some tactical planning, but its very fun.

Back