• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help me take better pictures

450

Fully [H]
Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Messages
20,977
Pictures I've taken so far that I like. Give me some tips to help me take some good photos! :D Thanks!

All pictures taken with a Pentax K100D with the kit lens. I'm getting a macro and a zoom lens soon enough.

IMGP0957-1.jpg

IMGP0956.jpg

IMGP0952.jpg

IMGP0950.jpg

IMGP0949.jpg
 
Well what mode are you shooting in? The pics seem a bit dark.
 
I agree with Joves, most of those pics are underexposed. The flower pics don't have much 'pop' to them because of that. In that last pic, everything is soft and out of focus.

Taking Joves question one step further - I'd recommend you get used to shooing in the PSAM modes (program, shutter priority, aperture priority, manual). The full auto modes are okay for snapshotting, but you'll get more mileage out of your camera with the manual modes.
 
flowers, focus on the middle or open your F stop to get morein focus.

learn to use your ISO settings and aperature to avoid blurry pics

be original as possible, take unique pictures, that is what makes one stand out...


but basically, you need to learn how to use your manual settings on your camera and know what they do and know when to apply what settings and when.

also, if your camera has it, shoot in raw and you can post process in graphics apps like photoshop to help adjust exposure and such until you learn to use your camera better.

not my best but a combo of Canon 20D, tokina 100mm macro, a good flash, manual settings, wide open F stop, low ISO and photoshop in M mode.

http://fuzzy.phpwebhosting.com/~mathiau/myspace/03.30.2007/water 03.jpg

http://fuzzy.phpwebhosting.com/~mathiau/myspace/04.07.2007/flyflower 01.jpg

(click to make them full size once loaded)
 
The sad part is that the reason its terrible is because I was experimenting with manual settings like exposure and white balance and focusing. In full auto the thing is brilliant but now I messed up the settings worse than before and now all my pictures are black (nearly full black) due to some white balance and exposure issue.
 
Congratz! hehe you are well on your way to learning more! The really great thing about digital cameras is that you can learn much more quickly than the film counterparts - the quicker you see the picture the easier it is to see how the various settings affect picture quality. I made the mistake of going DSLR the month before going on a once in a lifetime trip; Over 90% of my shots were pure crap. I made up for it with a 4G memory card so that 10% was still a bunch of pictures :D

It sounds like you are doing everything right though - keep messing around, keep looking for more info, pictures will improve with time - if photography was easy all we'd need is point and shoot cameras.
 
Another supporter of Understanding Exposure here. That is a great book for both a beginner and someone looking to refine their skills.
 
Thanks for all the advice guys! I'll try and snap a few more pictures and upload 'em to see if I get any better. :)
 
Back
Top