Help me split 1 tower into 2 Shuttle XPCs!!!

IronChefMorimoto

Limp Gawd
I'm running a single desktop sporting the specs listed below in my sig. I'm sick of seeing this rather bland and never-got-around-to-modding it Chieftec black-windowed tower sitting at my desk. And I want something that's portable. So...I thought I might do this...

Split the AMD AthlonXP Barton 2500+ out w/ 1 120GB SATA hard drive and drop it into a Shuttle XPC w/ either 512MB or 1GB of DDR400 memory w/ a spare ATI Radeon 9500 Pro 128MB video card. That's my work machine for web development, letters to congressmen that piss me off, etc.

Drop in an AMD AthlonXP Barton 3200+ w/ 2 120GB SATA hard drives in a RAID0 configuration in ANOTHER Shuttle XPC w/ 1GB of DDR400 memory and the ATI 9800 Pro 256MB video card below. This would be my gaming machine. Hell -- I'd probably not even need that much RAID0 space, so get some smaller hard drives.

Questions:

1. 400FSB support confusion: Looking at the details on Shuttle's website, it's hard to tell which NForce2 XPCs TRULY support 400FSB on the CPU and memory. I've read that they test the SN41G2V2 models with Barton 3200+ (400FSB) CPUs, but I've gotten the impression from some posts in here that it's hard to tell. I've read that the SN45GV2 DOES definitely support 400FSB, but it only comes in silver (I want black). :) Any suggestions or confirmations? Is Newegg carrying the 400FSB SN41G2V2s?
  2. Power supply requirements: Will either of the Shuttle XPCs mentioned above support a honkin' ATI 9800 Pro 256MB card + DVD-ROM/CD-R/W + 2 SATA hard drives + SATA PCI RAID card? Or am I cruising for a bruising and a fried PSU? I have an Antec TruPower 480W now running all of that in my Chieftec tower.
  3. RAID0 in an XPC: Has anyone used a SATA PCI RAID card in their Shuttle XPC with any success? In terms of temps from the card chipset AND the 2 hard drives? How tight was the fit in the drive bays (my wife has an OLD Shuttle XPC -- I should look at hers)?
  4. Wasting money by not going for Athlon64: Am I shooting myself in the foot here by not making at least one of these systems an Athlon64 Shuttle XPC? I was concerned because the 754 socket seemed to be here and then get shuffled off to the side with the new 939 chipsets, but I see an [H] article today about the rebirth of the 754 with new chipsets from manufacturers. Is the 754 a risk if I don't want to get stuck with the Subaru SVX of AMD processors?

I hope I've been thorough and asked the right questions here. Any guidance you can offer is greatly appreciated. Kudos to the [H] for revamping these forums.

Regards,
IronChefMorimoto

1.) The SN41G2B V2 I have it and along with my 2500+ and 1 GB DDR 400 it runs my proc at 11 x 200 which is a 3200+.....I am using a agp card so idk if it will 400mhz fsb on the proc if you use the IGP

2.) Same model shuttle as aboove has now the 250W SilentX PSU and it will handle all of your goodies

3.) I use only 1 HD

4.) Am waiting for socket 939 but if you got the money go for it now

If you don't want to worry about the FSB, get the SN45G2V2 which includes the 250W PSU.

I am running a SN41G2, have been for a year and a half. It did 200FSB just fine with an AGP card, but had no voltage control options for the ram, so it has to be good to be fast. The IGP only went up to 180 without crashing while doing 3d apps. Also, I did two HDs, 1 gig ram, a 9800 Pro, 802.11G wireless card, and OCing to 2.4Ghz(12x200) at 1.85V (manually wire-modded)... and this was on the 200W achme PSU. It can handle plenty.

I should have noted that I am NOT intending to run any overclocked settings. Just stock.

Does this change any of the answers I received above?

Thanks,
IronChefMorimoto

Throw a KVM switch into the mix, and are you planning on putting the shuttles right inside the chieftec case or whats the plan?

I have a Belkin USB/VGA/Audio KVM switch already, to switch between the desktop and laptop that I use for work. With the desktop becoming two (2) Shuttle XPCs, I'll be using 3 of the 4 ports on the KVM. So, I'm set with that.

I was thinking about stacking the two shuttles or mounting them in some fashion. Yeah -- it might get to be as bad looking as the boring black monolith, but I'll have two PCs that I can move around pretty easily and, for gaming, take over to a LAN party without breaking my back (although the 19" monitor may still do that).

So -- can anyone confirm that BOTH of the Shuttle XPC flavors mentioned above can handle 400MHz FSB AthlonXP processors? And DDR400 memory? It's my understanding that some of the above answers were referring to overclocking the lower model # XPC from 333MHz to 400MHz FSB. I want to avoid doing that. If it won't run 400MHz FSB stock, then my question is answered and I can concentrate on the Athlon64 option.

The temps, as I mentioned, were also a concern, with running two (2) hard drives in either of the AlthonXP-based XPCs. Although, now that I think about it, if any system I order has a media reader, I won't be able to use it AND the 2nd hard drive, right?

Thanks,
IronChefMorimoto

Yes, they both run 400mhz FSB as long as you are not using the IGP (which you aren't). They're just like every other Nforce 2 motherboard in existence. As for the PSU, you aren't even going to stress it with those components. I've seen people putting P4EE, 2 Raptors, 9800XT, DVD writers, extra fans, Audigy 2's. You're not going to have a problem.

The second hard drive for the RAID0 would kill using the media reader, no? Any creative suggestions on how I could get a RAID0 setup into the higher-end gaming machine? Maybe not that important for the work machine.

What about temps with two hard drives? Comments on that?

IronChefMorimoto

DJDishwateR said:
are you planning on putting the shuttles right inside the chieftec case or whats the plan?

That would be a riot. :D My wife would never know...that I blew $1200 for all the parts involved (if I did the Athlon64 Shuttle XPC route). ;)

IronChefMorimoto

Back