Help me sort a home network.

Hey all,

I was at a customers house yesterday trying to make a small network of 2 computers. i was running into some odd issues tho.

Both computers are windows XP, no more than a year old, on is an IBM the other is a DELL.

I put a crossover cable between the 2 machines, and both acknowledged the connection. the IBM i set with an IP of 192.168.10.1, the DELL to 192.168.10.2. default subnet of 255.255.255.0.

This is where the problems start. The DELL can ping the IBM pc, however the IBM cannot ping the dell! i set them up on the same workgroup, yet none can browse the workgroup either!

The second issue comes with the internet. they have AOL 9 ADSL. and sadly have a USB modem. i have set up ICS in what i think is the AOL connection, but none will connect to the internet.

Does anyone have any ideas? Im personally just thinking of formating all the computers and starting fresh. however, im still not sure about AOL. has anyone shared this over ICS?

thanks

Digital-Vortex said:
Does anyone have any ideas? Im personally just thinking of formating all the computers and starting fresh. however, im still not sure about AOL. has anyone shared this over ICS?

I remember older versions of AOL wouldn't work with ICS, haven't had to try it in about 2 years myself.

EDIT:
Poking around:
http://www.aol.co.uk/products/broadband/faqs.html#consoles

Seems to suggest that ICS is possible on DSL connections but doesn't do much for details.

I suppose the basics of turning off or at least configuring the Windows Firewall has been taken care of?

Back