Help me replace my G420

t. shuffle

Limp Gawd
I bought this thing in 2001 after seeing the perfect inky blacks and vibrant, almost lysergic reds and blues on these 17" Dell Trinitron flat screens at work. Remember those things?

Well, this thing never delivered those colors, but it has served me well for the last six years. It's finally just worn out, and washed out.

I need something new to replace it. I don't need anything bigger than 19" or 20", I just want something with black blacks and pretty colors that will have a decent refresh rate for playing games.

Are the LCD/TFTs capable of that yet? What's my best bet?

I bought this thing in 2001 after seeing the perfect inky blacks and vibrant, almost lysergic reds and blues on these 17" Dell Trinitron flat screens at work. Remember those things?

Well, this thing never delivered those colors, but it has served me well for the last six years. It's finally just worn out, and washed out.

I need something new to replace it. I don't need anything bigger than 19" or 20", I just want something with black blacks and pretty colors that will have a decent refresh rate for playing games.

If you are hardcore player i will recommend you CRT, becasue LCD will limit your FPS to 75Hz

There's gotta be someone here that's been where I am right now. This is the [H], right?

There's gotta be someone here that's been where I am right now. This is the [H], right?

Funny you should ask. I was in a similar conundrum a few months ago (and still am actually) and posted about it here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1187019

I was coming from the exact same monitor that you are, and it's proved to be a very tough decision. There's some good information in that thread if you feel like reading the entire (rather long) thing. To summarize it, the best possible 4:3 CRTs that you could replace it with that are available new now would probably be the HP P1230, Dell P1130, or IBM P275. I'm still trying to decide which one I want myself, but any of those would probably be superior to your G420.

Note that those are all 21"+ monitors, but I think you'll find (as I did) that it's not really possible to find a 19" Trinitron for sale that isn't refurbished anymore. The size difference really isn't that big anyhow.

And as for your other question:

Not even close. The majority of LCDs are still limited to 60Hz, which I can tell you from personal experience going from a 100+ CRT to an LCD at 60 is absolute crap for games. If that bothers you, then I can assure you that no LCD will satisfy you at the moment. A few of the new 22" TN panels can do 75Hz at 1680x1050 and most of the higher end 19" and below panels can also do 75, but that's about as good as you'll get, and neither of those will likely be able to match the image quality of a CRT.

Back