Help me remember a dungeon crawl game from my childhood

Shakezilla

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok so this may be a pretty big stretch. But maybe someone else played this game.

If I remember correctly it was a top down view. You could move up down diagonal. You melee'd by running into a monster or you could use spells. You could equip items and some of them gave perks like showing more area around you. There were cursed items I am pretty sure. Also pretty sure there were stair cases on the screen and you had to run over the staircase icon (square) to go up or down stairs.

I think the story starts with like your town being destroyed (so like every game)

It is really simplistic but old. At least 11 or 12 years old maybe more.

If I see a picture I will know it but yeah not to much description to go on. But thanks. I get such a warm fuzzy feeling remembering things about it.

Neverwinter Nights?

Not 12 years old, but fits your description...and still was a fun game.

Maybe one of those old SSI Gold box DnD games like DragonStrike, Champions of Krynn, Pools of Radiance, Eye of the Beholder, etc.?

Maybe one of those old SSI Gold box DnD games like DragonStrike, Champions of Krynn, Pools of Radiance, Eye of the Beholder, etc.?

All those look like around probably the same time period but no luck but thanks.

Never Winter Nights looks way way too nice lol but thanks

Dungeon Seige?

As one review site put it, "It's like Diablo II on crack." :p

Perfect description of "Castle of the Winds".

It is now freeware and available for download from the wikipedia link posted by a previous poster.

Perfect description of "Castle of the Winds".

It is now freeware and available for download from the wikipedia link posted by a previous poster.

This
The player begins in a tiny hamlet, near which he used to live. His farm has been destroyed and his godparents killed. After clearing out an abandoned mine, the player finds a scrap of parchment that reveals the death of the player's godparents as having been ordered. The player then returns to the hamlet to find it pillaged, and decides to travel to Bjarnarhaven.

Plus the screen shot

750px-Cotw-screen.gif

Brought back memories

I'm a bit late for the fun, but these were all late 89-94ish games. I had the EoB games (2, the legend of Dark Moon was the best, I still remember being in awe of the opening sequence) and pool of radiance for my 286. If that doesn't age me nothing will. Can't believe it has been 20 years.

I had it on DosBox year or two ago, I need to dig out that thumb drive...

"Castle of the Winds" reminds me of a game I used to play LONG ago on a Mac. Square board you would wonder around and I remember collecting different wands to help take out the mobs.

I find it interesting that a lot of the Gameboy & Gameboy Color-based Final Fantasy games were very much like this. I miss those days of maxing out the gold & levels in games & totally destroying bosses.

Hope you guys meet the system requirements lol

System requirements
640x480 graphic display, 80286 CPU, 2MB RAM, Windows 3.x or above

holy shit, i've never seen a game like that before, and i'm 28 years old!!

wow, what rock was i hiding under all this time?

I did however, play MUDs (text based dungeon crawler games, basically text based MMO's) for a few years. But wow, I didn't know games like Castle of the Winds existed, those must have been fun back in the day, because you had to use your imagination to make up for the graphics. Come to think of it, that's why I liked text based MUD's for so long

"Castle of the Winds" reminds me of a game I used to play LONG ago on a Mac. Square board you would wonder around and I remember collecting different wands to help take out the mobs.
Could be a few things. There were a ton of those games on the Mac back then. Dungeon of Doom and TaskMaker come to mind.

That's why I love these threads. It makes me realize that in another 20 years we'll see threads like this:

Anyone remember some game where you're on an island with some special suit, and the game looked awesome 'til some mutants or aliens or something showed up, and you needed to wait 'til three years after release and even then finally with the latest tri-SLI hardware and overclocked CPUs you were just finally getting playable framerates?

Funny thing is, whether you get Far Cry 1 or Crysis for answers, they're both pretty much correct!

Then we'll reminisce about the other games of that generation that were poorly optimized for the systems of the time... Or about the DRM or something...

I'm just wondering if we're going to have much nostalgia about this current generation of gaming...

That's why I love these threads. It makes me realize that in another 20 years we'll see threads like this:

Anyone remember some game where you're on an island with some special suit, and the game looked awesome 'til some mutants or aliens or something showed up, and you needed to wait 'til three years after release and even then finally with the latest tri-SLI hardware and overclocked CPUs you were just finally getting playable framerates?

Funny thing is, whether you get Far Cry 1 or Crysis for answers, they're both pretty much correct!

Then we'll reminisce about the other games of that generation that were poorly optimized for the systems of the time... Or about the DRM or something...

I'm just wondering if we're going to have much nostalgia about this current generation of gaming...

Your post seems like a whole lot of trolling. Far Cry 1 & Crysis both ran great for me around their release dates. No need to keep griping about it when its been beaten 1 million times as the most dead horse to grace the scene.

Your post seems like a whole lot of trolling. Far Cry 1 & Crysis both ran great for me around their release dates. No need to keep griping about it when its been beaten 1 million times as the most dead horse to grace the scene.

I wasn't gripping about it. Just acknowledging that system demands are higher now than back then. I'm sure this will be spoken about when the games are spoken about nostalgically...

I know I upgraded my systems for both examples without great improvement, and that will be my memory to laugh about in the future... That it took years before the game ran as I wish it had on their release dates, which wasn't the case with the previous generation of games.

Games are much more sophisticated now than games we can sit and reminisce about...

I wasn't gripping about it. Just acknowledging that system demands are higher now than back then. I'm sure this will be spoken about when the games are spoken about nostalgically...

I know I upgraded my systems for both examples without great improvement, and that will be my memory to laugh about in the future... That it took years before the game ran as I wish it had on their release dates, which wasn't the case with the previous generation of games.

Games are much more sophisticated now than games we can sit and reminisce about...

:p Well, I guess we all have different experiences with certain games but we'll all reminisce differently too.

Back