• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help me put together a 5.1 system

Andyk5

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 27, 2011
Messages
1,154
Ok, I have been pretty active on the displays forums because I am buying a TV this week (first one in 5 years) and since it will be used mostly for gaming and streaming internet content with no cable box connectivity, I was asking for the opinions of the computer based display guru's.

Now I am ready for a 5.1 system to go with it. This system will play flac/mp3's, pandora for music, play game audio, netflix, hulu+ and occasional blue ray movies. There is a small possibility of going 3D but not sure yet.

Here is what I alrady have in hand.
$15 asus sonar etc.. sound card
AudioEngine A5 self powered speakers.
http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-A5plus#.UPXEx4ZQVLM

Here are the two paths I am trying to decide on.
I can either but a complete setup which comes with 5 speakers, 1 sub and a receiver, or build around my A5's which I really like for mids (extra strong) and highs.

I am a bit vary about a complete system unless it is something like Bose where you know you are not getting the best of the best, but get your money's worth and everything works seamlessly. I had a cheap ($300) Panasonic system long time ago and it was the worst possible 5.1 system ever with almost no volume coming from rear speakers etc.. I am sure the receiver was extra sub par.
If I am going to build around the A5's then I would need a center, 2 rear speakers and a good receiver.

The budget is $800'ish , I have already thought about a 5.1 bose speaker system that comes with a Pioneer receiver for $799 but the problem is that they have horrible reviews. Everyone who had the system and wrote a review on it hated the receiver and returned it. I do not understand why because when I look up the reviews for that receiver on amazon I see that it gets 4 out of 5 stars out of 89 reviews?? Another thing that makes no sense is the same exact reciever's 7.1 version cousin with a stronger amp sells for $100 cheaper, so i am confused.
http://www.costco.com/Bose®-Network-ready-5.1-home-theater-package.product.100027049.html


Bose 5.1 systems with Bose receivers start at $2k which is out of my budget

Help me plan something out. My friend has an amazing B&W system and I can't go visit him often enough to listen to his system because he lives in south Dakota and I am in LA, I need my own setup!! .

PS: I am open to building a really nice system slowly, meaning I dont mind spending a good amount of money on a receiver, a sub and a center and start with a 3.1 system and then compliment it with B&W's ( yes i am biased) when I have the money.
 
Last edited:
You need to match your LCR tonally. Getting a center to sound proper with the A5's is going to be very difficult.

Please don't buy Bose. Start with a nice 2.1 and work your way up as budget allows.
 
You need to match your LCR tonally. Getting a center to sound proper with the A5's is going to be very difficult.

Please don't buy Bose. Start with a nice 2.1 and work your way up as budget allows.

I knew that was coming lol, I am just pretty busy and sometimes feel like saying F it, get the whole system set it up and be done with it.

As far as the center, I am not too concerned with it tonally that much, I may not even need it that much. I mean one thing that bothers me the most with cheap HT systems is that they power the crap out of the center like %70 of all sound is coming from there and the other 4 around it are just like extra's in a movie, they look the part but don't speak. I have always been more impressed with systems where the center was like support unit and the system spoke through large 4 corner speakers.
 
PS: I am open to building a really nice system slowly, meaning I don't mind spending a good amount of money on a receiver, a sub and a center and start with a 3.1 system and then compliment it with B&W's ( yes i am biased) when I have the money.

Welcome to the program. You are mentioning two brands which are overpriced though. bose and b&W, while not bad, are not nearly as good as other brands at the same price.

Look at Emotiva, Martin Logan and HSU for some excellent speakers w/ matching subs that you can flip out over in your budget. Emotiva XRM-6.1, Martin Logan Motion 4 are two models I would look at and HSU has package deals that are really nice.

Receivers are a bit sketchy so I will let someone else rec that.
 
Well ok then, it is decided, we are building around the A5's
Now let the recommendations flow!!! :)
Which receiver? A friend of mine has

Which sub?

Which center and rears? Leninghola said that it is going to be hard to match the center to my A5's. I am going to go with the overpriced stuff and want B&W. You may think of me as a women who will buy a crappy laptop for $1500 because she liked the color lol, i don't care, I am on a mission and some part of my HT system will contain B&W. I just don't know what is the best B&W for the money I guess and what kind of receiver needs to power it. I have read http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html and agreed on not buying Bose, but B&W is still up there i mean, maybe i can get some name recognition and a good pair of speakers together.
 
Last edited:
Facepalm3_zps1aefa332.jpg


You really need to think about that idea again. Then repeat the process.

How many home theaters have you seen with little powered monitors as the main speakers? You could do it, if you bought 3 pairs and would have a spare speaker. That is the only way you can get a matching center. Also, you would not need a receiver. Just run the speakers and sub from the sound card. They are too small for a serious sounding 5.1 but would do well enough.
 
If I were you, I would get a decent receiver and build a 5.1 system around the Polk New Monitor line or similar (discontinued MonitorII line, Pioneer or here, used, etc) and you can pick and choose what kind of speakers you want to use. For a sub, I would go with the BIC F12 or the BIC PL-200. Cables/wires from monoprice. Not the cheapest system, not the best, but a pretty good value for the money and you won't be upgrading anytime soon, except maybe a dedicated power amplifier like one from Emotiva or something if your speakers need it.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i have a number of polk speakers

i have had for 4.5 years now Monitor 50s front , CS1 center and Monitor 30 II surrounds and PSW10 sub for my HT set up... good stuff indeed waited on sales on each piece (actually took about 1yr to complete the whole thing ...started with Front L/R monitor 50s and sub then added center and then the surrounds..... just wait patiently for each on to go on a good sale when i had the money and then ordered.

so all in all all the speakers came out to about $400 for the money I would not complain at all... the thing that kinda sucks is the grills / new logo on the replacement monitor series are f***ing god awful... if at all possible i'd take the grills off any of those cause they are fugly ..imho.. but of course if you have people over alot or kits might be best to leave them on to keep fingers out of where they shouldn't be.


I also own the polk T15 bookshelf speakers and RTi4s

honestly the biggest disappointment was the RTi4s which i will likely sell at some point I had planned on using them with my vintage pioneer amp..but they sounded like butt with it ... complete lack of synergy or whatever.

however all of the monitor / monitor II's and the T15 bookshelf speakers have worked out very well.

i have no doubt there are probably better speakers but the polk monitor series are readily available and frequently on sale and have a rather kick ass indeed bang / $ ratio.
 
Don't use self powered monitors, dont use Bose, dont use b&w its overpriced... So many donts and not enough do, except the polk recommendation
 
Take a look on craigslist. There's a wealth of audio bargains floating around. $800 will get you a great setup used and an ok setup new.

Look for older receivers like the Denon 3803 or Yamaha RX-V3000.

These were top of the line receivers a decade ago, you can pick them up for $100-200. the only thing they don't have that current TOL receivers have is HDMI and Audyssey. HDMI you don't need, you can still get current blu-ray audio formats if you use analog outs from your blu ray player or computer (this is what I do). Sound quality wise they will blow anything new away for under $1000.

Speakers... There's a wealth of opinion, best thing to do is to go to Best Buy or Frys and listen, they'll have all the Polks, Klipsch and all that.

Budget systems that are good are the Pioneer SP-PK21BS. Infinity P362s (get these from Frys when they are on sale, they've sold them for $100 per tower before). Fluance...

Good advice is to stay away from Bose.
 
Back
Top