40GB Hard Drive
Non-Removable 8x DVD
Removable 8x CD-RW
Removable Floppy
15" SXGA+ TFT (1400*1050)
Firewire
Touchpad and Trackpoint
Mini-PCI slot for Integrated 10/100 NIC and 56K Modem Upgrade

What are the respective price points? It will be easier to make a recommendation between the two, as well as possibly provide other alternatives (I've assuming we're talking below $500 for each).

-Dan

I'm not buying a laptop. These two are to be given to myself and another person. I have first pick.

The laptop will be used as an addition to a desktop at college.

id go with the inspiron 8000 because...

p3 = better batter life
you can get another 256mb of ram and get to 512mb easy.
better video card
hella better display
bigger hdd

I would get the 8000 because of the screen, the easy upgradability of the RAM, and the hard drive.

More opinions????

This is surprising me because I thought the 2650 might be a better choice given its intended usage as an addition to a desktop at college.

the 8xxx series is a much better chasis and screen than the 2xxx series dell

much higher reliability and better overall system parts

id get the 2xxx (if your not playin many games) cause of the way better processer

el bob said:
More opinions????

This is surprising me because I thought the 2650 might be a better choice given its intended usage as an addition to a desktop at college.
exactly. the 8000 is lighter and will likely have better battery life (p3 v. p4).

if you have a desktop already, those are just about the only two things that matter.

i haven't been able to find a detailed battery life comparison though.

get the 8000 series.

1. You can easily put in 2 batteries, and have it last during all your college classes.

2. easier upgrade of RAM (depending on your classes and needs, more might be necessary. My T41 has 512, I'm putting in a gig for use as a lab-alternative machine (I need to run Windows 2003 Standard and Linux in a Virtual PC environment....that takes RAM)

3. better screen

4. better video

5. better hdd

6. firewire (would be great for transferring files between your desktop and your laptop; 100mb/s vs 400.)

7. trackpoint (touchpads are the devil)

while the 2650 has integrated ethernet and a faster CPU, it's not nearly as flexible as the 8000 is.
And you said it yourself, this is a supplement to your desktop. If you need to run games and stuff, you can do it on your desktop, rather than the laptop.

Get the laptop that offers more for portability and longevity, rather than the one that'll sacrifice battery for power.

If it were me, I'd get the 8000, a spare battery, and a wireless card. honestly, my T41 (and T42P) only use ethernet when I'm running them as a servers, or when I'm in an environment that doesn't have wireless.
Take into account that when you're using the system on campus, that you're not likely to be allowed to connect into their network directly, the ethernet is only good at your dorm. A properly configured desktop (with firewire and an ethernet port) will allow the laptop to access the internet, or you could just go out and buy the upgrade. (or a PCMCIA card for $20 off the egg)

I have a 850mhz sony and would trade it for a 1.7 in a heartbeat. As for battery life... I would not assume the faster laptop will use up the battery faster because my 850mhz laptop's battery lasts 10 minutes. The 850 you are looking at is not new, and might not have a very good battery... please don't assume it is a good battery... you might find yourself with a laptop you need to plug in everywhere. The faster laptop is newer, and you stand a better chance of getting a good battery. Steve

the 8000 is the choice and the battery life is great but if you think 850 is going to slow you down consider this. My 4100 Inspiron went from 1ghz P3 TUL to 1.2TUL just thanks to dell's service. I am sure that System can handle the P3 1.2 and it kept pace with my SOny Vaio GRZ660 P4 2.4. (It actually felt much fatser hated that damn sony.) Anyway I have owned over 23 laptops lol, i sell them constantly and I would say that the 8000 is better to go with the screen, graphics, battery because if you want to call a laptop that is probably at most a year newer but still 2 years old at least safer, I doubt that. Most batterys have a battery life of 1-2yrs if not properly taken care of anyway. So either way i would be prepaired to get a new battery for either and the 8000 would be best with the ram, processor and possibly a new battery yeah your out 260 but that laptop wil make the P4 look slow. Ask...dangit who did I sell that 4100 to....he loves it I almost think I should have kept it. Anyway thats my thoughts on the issue :eek:

Regarding the 8000's battery. It's recently been replaced so it's brand new.

However, regarding weight. I just did some tests of my own with a scale and I found the 8000 to weigh approximately 8.5 pounds while the 2650 weighs 7.25 pounds. The figures in my first post are ratings I found from internet reviews.

I originally thought the 8000 seemed heavier than the 2650 and this seems to confirm that in numbers.

Does this affect your decisions?

if that extra weight means a 2nd battery is possible, then yeah.

the 8000 series of laptops are nice; I had to work on one a few weeks back.

Battery life in class is what will matter to you.

you're using it in addition to a desktop, so I take it that huge gaming isnt going on. It has more features that imo are suited for desktop work, and honestly, you're not gonna notice a real difference browsing the web on an 850p3 or a 1.7p4.

Back