Help Me Pick a Soundcard

D

DFW5168

Guest
So .... I want a new soundcard, as I have been using the onboard sound, and I miss having games have a surround sound kind of effect, letting me know when someone is about to blow my face off. The one thing I always really dont put a lot of time and effort to is the sound, when I build a PC or upgrade. Here's a couple of facts, and you guys help me pick one out.

1. I dont want to break the bank. I want sub $100.00 sound.
2. Surround effects on games plz.
3. Use headphones.

Lmk... :D
 
I would have posted that but I actually listened to the OP's requirements. :D
 
Criccio the headphones I have are some Logitech headphones. I will be upgrading those as well, as soon as I upgrade the soundcard. I guess I should have said that in the first place. I want a headphone with mic and decent sound. I am liking the Auzentech .... sounds amazing actually, and for the price I might have to pull the trigger. Any input on headphones?
 
I also recommend the AuzenTech Forte. It's $9 dollars over budget after rebate, but well worth it from what I've read. It support EAX 5.0 Advanced HD, which is only available on sound cards with the X-Fi chip. EAX is improved 3d sound in games, but is only supported in a few games. If gaming is your priority, you want that. Also, if you say you game with headphones, then the Forte might give you better quality using that dedicated port. Also, X-fi cards by AuzenTech are better than Creatives in some occasions.

BTW, headphones with microphones are called "headsets" most of the time. Search for that better. But what's your budget for the headset anyway?

Last thing, I don't know how accurate this is, but you might want to check this IGN acticle about gaming headsets. Just so you get an idea: Gaming Headphones Buyer's Guide
 
Are you using Vista or XP? If you're in Vista X-Fi and EAX don't really mean as much due to audio being rendered through OpenAL rather than DirectSound 3D
 
I replaced my Auzentech Prelude with the Forte and am very pleased. Stuck the Prelude in my parents' HTPC. Everyone is happy. :)
 
Are you using Vista or XP? If you're in Vista X-Fi and EAX don't really mean as much due to audio being rendered through OpenAL rather than DirectSound 3D
you keep saying that but I dont get it. the x-fi card is just as important on Vista as XP if you want EAX. from my understanding with Vista you just use Alchemy on the non OpenAL games. either way you end up with EAX effects but please correct me if I am wrong.
 
you keep saying that but I dont get it. the x-fi card is just as important on Vista as XP if you want EAX. from my understanding with Vista you just use Alchemy on the non OpenAL games. either way you end up with EAX effects but please correct me if I am wrong.
I think you are correct.
 
I replaced my Auzentech Prelude with the Forte and am very pleased. Stuck the Prelude in my parents' HTPC. Everyone is happy. :)
Is there anything you don't like about it? I've been thinking about replacing my 1212m to go for a single slot solution but it's hard to find a music oriented card short of the $180+ Xonar D2s, etc (PC Budget isn't as large as it used to be :(). So far, I've seen the Xonar DX which I've kinda nixed due to the fact that it needs to be powered, the Omega which doesn't use a discreet DAC, and the Forte.
 
So .... I want a new soundcard, as I have been using the onboard sound, and I miss having games have a surround sound kind of effect, letting me know when someone is about to blow my face off. The one thing I always really dont put a lot of time and effort to is the sound, when I build a PC or upgrade. Here's a couple of facts, and you guys help me pick one out.

1. I dont want to break the bank. I want sub $100.00 sound.
2. Surround effects on games plz.
3. Use headphones.

Lmk... :D

I don't know US prices, but the best solution for those demands is a X-Fi...
 
Is there anything you don't like about it? I've been thinking about replacing my 1212m to go for a single slot solution but it's hard to find a music oriented card short of the $180+ Xonar D2s, etc (PC Budget isn't as large as it used to be :(). So far, I've seen the Xonar DX which I've kinda nixed due to the fact that it needs to be powered, the Omega which doesn't use a discreet DAC, and the Forte.
I've had it for only 2 weeks, but it's all good so far.

EDIT: I just turned on my PC, heard a pop, no audio. My Forte is dead. :mad: I'm returning it for refund tomorrow. I think I'll try the Xonar D2X.
 
Last edited:
So the Auzentech Prelude is the inferior card compared to the Forte?
They're virtually equal in performance/quality. Prelude offers analog and digital connectivity and is PCI; Forte is digital only, has the headphone amp and is PCI-e. I couldn't tell any real audio difference between the two. I ended up returning my dead Forte for refund and reinstalled my Prelude. If I were buying a card today, I'd get the Forte because it's cheaper and I don't need analog capability.
 
I'm sure the forte has analog connectors, you just need to attach those extra connectors externally.
yeah i dont understand what Mr. Wolf is talking about because the Forte can do analog just like any other normal soundcard.
 
My bad on the analog. I should have written that the Forte's analog connections are simply different from the Prelude.
 
Back
Top