Help me pick a new card MAX $300

atom

Gawd
This has been solved, please see post 20.

Well, my HD 7790 is shitting the bed. It's an XFX and we can rule out that brand. I am looking at getting a 280X unless you guys can show me something that is a better deal. Nvidia is just fine as well. The ASUS 280x is sold out on NewEgg and the price has skyrocketed on Amazon. I pretty much have no Brick and Mortar options. I don't think HIS is a decent brand. I just don't know what brand I would get other then ASUS. I can do the cards that are $10 more at the $309.

1080p, Display Port monitor.

Last edited:
Probably the Gigabyte Windforce 280x unless there's something horrible about it I haven't heard about.

well the Nvidia equivalent is the 770. cheapest one on newegg is right at 300 bucks after rebate and promo. my only reservation with the 770 is having just 2gb which may be an issue if you want to keep the card for a while. the 7950 can had for around 250 bucks which is no where near as good as the deals were on those a few weeks ago. still coming from a 7790, a 7950 will be huge jump and will overclock really good too. it wont be too much slower than a 280x or 770 when all cards are oced.

What do you guys think of Sapphire or MSI as a brand? Hit or miss? I have heard Gigabyte is great when you get a good one, but there are some bad ones... Oh decisions!

buy a 7970, isn't it basically the same as a 280x but cheaper?
Its a 7970 ghz edition, but the R9 cards are actually cheaper.

The 280X seems like the best card for that price.I bought one, but it won't be here til tomorrow.

I've had good luck with Sapphire the past couple cards I've bought. No complaints.

Asus GTX 670 - $290-$30=$260AR + AC:IV and Splinter Cell: Blacklist - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Powercolor 7970 - $270-$30=$240AR + Never Settle Gold Bundle - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
Those are awesome picks my friend. I am considering the nVidia, which the only GeForce I have ever owned is a crappy MX440 32 mb or something like that. Played GTA 3 ok. I am almost sold on the whole mantle thing however.

That "PowerColor" is definitely a good price, but that brand sounds like it belongs more to a chinese VCR company than too a video card manufacturer. I just don't know if I could pull the trigger, end up doing an RMA on like 6 of them, paying the shipping each time.

I usually get these two as they're voltage unlocked.

Ive been researching the hell out of the MSI. It has the lowest temps, and lowest noise from review sites. NewEgg feedback has about half the users complaining of extremely loud coil whine. Looks like its between the Gigabyte or Sapphire 280x or the ASUS 670 if I wan't to save some money. All of these cards are mini displayport too so i will need an adapter I guess. Goat let me know how you feel about that card when you get it!

No point in getting a 670 when the 760 is $250.
just 10 bucks less for a slower card though.

there is an MSI 770 Twin Frozr for $299 AR so I went ahead got that. thats $40 more than the 670 but it comes with Batman which can be sold for 20 bucks making it only 20 bucks more than the 670 in the end.

Those are awesome picks my friend. I am considering the nVidia, which the only GeForce I have ever owned is a crappy MX440 32 mb or something like that. Played GTA 3 ok. I am almost sold on the whole mantle thing however.

That "PowerColor" is definitely a good price, but that brand sounds like it belongs more to a chinese VCR company than too a video card manufacturer. I just don't know if I could pull the trigger, end up doing an RMA on like 6 of them, paying the shipping each time.

You already picked a card so this is more just chatter.

Powercolor has a larger presence in Asia. Actually what is odd is Sapphire and TUL (Powercolor) are actually closer AMD partners historically than the brands that have more awareness and name cachet out here in NA such as Asus, MSI and Gigabyte.

But personally I don't really place much emphasis on GPU brand value. My last GPU brands included the likes of Galaxy (this was years ago very unknown over here, even now still somewhat), Zotac, and Powercolor really because they had the best value at the time. No problems with any of them but also never needed to contact support because of that so couldn't tell you how they do in that area.

All things being equal I'd probably pick EVGA or MSI (found out recently they have a service depot in my city, so that would be easier to deal with) but not in terms of going out of my way for them or paying significantly more.

There is really too many anecdotal stories about company service. For instance you've sworn off XFX cause of a bad experience and like Asus but plenty of Asus horror stories out there nowadays. Seems like with almost any brand it is basically a "crapshoot" in terms of service.

^The Sapphire Toxic looks awesome, but I require quiet. I am hoping really that this card I got is as quiet as the base CU II. I was going to pull the trigger on the MSI but I couldn't get past that about a third of th reviews on NE complain of coil whine. Does EVGA make Radeons?

Back