Help me Pick a new 2.1 Setup

Actuary

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
2,468
Hey guys. I'm getting tired of my Logitech x-230s, especially considering I just upgraded and installed a X-fi Xtrememusic(among other things.) Also, excuse my lack of expertise, but the cylinder type object inside the hole in the subwoofer(that's supposed to actually continue the hole) broke/came unattached some how, and can now rattle around inside the subwoofer. Not sure what did it, they're about a year and a half old. Maybe it was the trips back and forth to college, whatever.

Anyway, I probably shouldn't go over $150, lower would be nice. I'll be using the speakers mostly for gaming and general multimedia purposes. Probably should get a new set of headphones too, the generic $15 pair I picked up at target is getting old.

I was checking out the Logitech Z-2300, I've heard good things about the Klipsch Promedias too. There's also the Creative I-Trigue 3300, 3400, or 3800(which currently has a $50 MIR at newegg.) Anyone have any suggestions?
 
klipsch pro media 2.1. $150
best bang for the buck out there, you could get them cheaper on ebay
 
klipsch pro media 2.1. $150
best bang for the buck out there, you could get them cheaper on ebay

Yeah I was just deciding that I wanted those. On Ebay I see them going from reputable sellers for about $115 including shipping, open box though:( . There are some for less, maybe about $80 shipped, but don't include the wires/instructions/etc.

I'm just worried about getting an open box item that doesn't work properly/has major cosmetic damage(scratches, etc.)
 
well, if you just look around on ebay, you will find a god one that works for a decent price.
just keep looking, i for one just bought a promedia 5.1 system :)
cant wait to get it hehe
 
those are great alternatives, my roommate had those altecs and they sounded great especially when playing music. but imo the logitech and klipsch definitely had an edge in games.
 
the ProMedia's are fantastic, I bought them couple weeks ago at bestbuy, they were running a sale on them for $119, I have been eyeing them for a while, I couldn't back down on a deal like that, fantastic all around speakers.
 
was going to start a new thread, but was "clever" and searched first =)

I have the same question..

new rig, XiFi Fatal1ty ( for the front panel functionality ) and need good speakers.

I budget say $300. What are the best out there, in the 2.1 even over that budget? I would love to do a 5.1, but the pc is in a strangely shaped room..living room, and the bride is usually watching tv :D and I wouldn't really get the surround effect, so 2.1 is a better choice.

Primary use is music and my 60gigs of mp3's. Some gaming, but generally game in EQ with the sound off, except for the audio triggers that tell me about certain info with a mob :p

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I just looked at these.. ProMedia GMX A-2.1 System .. the look is pretty sweet.. but quality? as opposed to the pro media's? Well..it seems These ProMedia 2.1 System have more power. So I guess function > fashion!
 
The GMX is basically the budget version of the Promedia 2.1. It's definitely worth the extra $$ to get the Promedia 2.1. I used mine for nearly 5 years before upgrading to a receiver + bookshelf speakers system. In fact, if your budget is $300, you could pick up a refurbished or used receiver and some decent bookshelf speakers that would blow away any 2.1 PC speaker system, including the Klipsch.
 
Screw speakers, just get a really nice pair of headphones. Sennheiser HD595 for $180, Sennheiser HD580 for $125, Sennheiser HD555s for $94, all prices are from Amazon. As a person that also came from X-230s, I gurantee you any of these headphones will blow your mind after burn in (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58157). I can personally vouch for the HD555s, and also the HD595s since they use the same design, as being EXETREMELY comfortable. I can barely notice them on my head, and at times I even forget they are there.
 
i also bought sennheiser headphones after getting the xfi, but have the headphones strapped on my head all day sometimes can give you a headache
 
Back
Top