Help Me Pick A Mouse...

ZaLiTH

n00b
Yeah, it's another one of "those threads", but before you judge me, just read the post first. :)

I posted this over at SevenForums mostly just because I've been registered there so long, but it seems there aren't really as many PC gamers over there as I I thought.. So, time to try my luck here then. :D I've had my trusty Logitech MX-1000 for about 4 years now, it's never given me any trouble and I've just bought a new battery for it, but I think it's about time to get a little upgrade...

Because I lost the use of my left arm in a bike accident a few years back, there are a few very important requirements though... I play more FPS games than any others, so here are a few must-haves:
  • Must have a tilting scroll wheel that is easy to get to: I use this to strafe in FPS games.
  • Must have at least 10 buttons: used for almost everything except moving forwards and backwards, I have a keyboard on the floor for that.
  • Must be a decent size (palm-grip style mouse): I need to still be able to hold the mouse while I use all the buttons.
  • Must have profiles: many games don't allow me to use certain keys, and I'm getting tired of changing the mouse button functions every time.
  • Preferably wireless: I'm so used to wireless now that having a fixed cable just seems weird, and I prefer the heavier mice, which tend to be the wireless ones anyway...
  • Price: around the R800 to R1000 (approx $100 to $125 USD).

It's a bit difficult to find a list of mice with tilting scroll wheels.. I know virtually all of Logitech's mice have, while none of Razer's mice do, but there may be others that I don't even know about. Currently I'm looking at getting one of these two, but I'm open to any other suggestions:
  • Logitech G700
  • Roccat Kone+

Or are there any others that would be worth looking at..?

Last edited:
I have the Logitech G500 and I have uses for all of its programmable buttons. I can't really say much for the G700 but I would think it would be the best suited for you.

What those 2 guys said ----------^

The new Logitech line seems to be very badass, and very well priced

Thanks... That is pretty much the way I was heading anyway, but I'm only going to be buying a new mouse in Dec, so there's no big rush. There's just one thing about the G700 that I'm somewhat sceptical of. How smooth is the scroll wheel tilt...?

Looking at pictures online, it looks like the same type of hyper-scroll as the MX Revolution. I have one of those at work, and to be honest the tilting scroll wheel on that sucks donkey d**k.. While the narrower wheel on my MX-1000 here at home has an awesome tilt (which is one reason I like it so much), but horrible middle-click...

Is there anyone who's maybe used both the G700 and Revolution or MX-1000? How does the click on the scroll wheel tilt compare?

Thanks... That is pretty much the way I was heading anyway, but I'm only going to be buying a new mouse in Dec, so there's no big rush. There's just one thing about the G700 that I'm somewhat sceptical of. How smooth is the scroll wheel tilt...?

Looking at pictures online, it looks like the same type of hyper-scroll as the MX Revolution. I have one of those at work, and to be honest the tilting scroll wheel on that sucks donkey d**k.. While the narrower wheel on my MX-1000 here at home has an awesome tilt (which is one reason I like it so much), but horrible middle-click...

Is there anyone who's maybe used both the G700 and Revolution or MX-1000? How does the click on the scroll wheel tilt compare?
There are actually several generations of the hyper-scroll mechanism. I have a G500, which uses one of the newer revisions, and the tilt-wheel is quite easy to use.

I've owed a MX1000 for years. Loved it. I want plenty of buttons to config them for the main apps I use like Firefox and games (mostly RPGs). So when looking for a new mouse with many buttons, options were limited. I ended up with a G700. After getting used to the 3 top left buttons, I love it as mush as my MX1000. You can use it wireless or wired. Setpoint works ok, no need for Ubermouse hack anymore.

There are actually several generations of the hyper-scroll mechanism. I have a G500, which uses one of the newer revisions, and the tilt-wheel is quite easy to use.
Awesome... That pretty much made up my mind. :D Thanks..

...Setpoint works ok, no need for Ubermouse hack anymore.
Haha... I think virtually everybody that's ever owned a Logitech has used UberOptions, or at least everyone I know has. :D But after looking at the Setpoint interface from reviews for the G700 it definitely looks like a lot has changed.

Anyways, big thanks to all of you, I'll definitely stick with Logitech for my next upgrade then...

mouse-8550.jpg

Another vote for the G700. I recently upgraded to one for my new build and have no complaints.

In the words of my favourite Worms voice: "Urgh, it's furry..." :D Besides, don't think it has enough buttons for me. Lol...

Edit: Just out of morbid curiosity, since I've pretty much already decided on the G700... Are there no other mice out there other than Logitech and Roccat with tilting scroll wheels..? Even though the idea has been around for years, they still seem to be pretty rare..

Last edited:
It's bad enough that we need to rely on their OS, now you want me to support their hardware side as well? Eh.... I feel dirty just thinking about that.. o_O

It's bad enough that we need to rely on their OS, now you want me to support their hardware side as well? Eh.... I feel dirty just thinking about that.. o_O

I'm curious how you could ascertain that I want you to support Microsoft by buying their mice ? I never said that , & it was never implied or inferred . You asked , I told you . Simple as that .

I'm curious how you could ascertain that I want you to support Microsoft by buying their mice ? I never said that , & it was never implied or inferred . You asked , I told you . Simple as that .

Maybe I should've made it a bit more obvious that I was being sarcastic... Sorry. :) Honestly, no offense intended..

G400 or G500

Thanks, but did you see how old this thread is...? I'm already on my second mouse since starting this thread, currently using a G700 (and loving it). Besides, the G400 wouldn't have worked anyway; no tilting scroll wheel..

Back