• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help me pick a modular 750W psu

Camberwell

Gawd
Joined
Jan 20, 2008
Messages
961
Hi all, I currently run a TX650W in my sig rig, and it has served me well, it has been very quiet in my pretty quiet setup. However next year I plan to upgrade to SLI with either GTX 860's or GTX 870's (depending on pricing) so I need a beefier psu, or at least something with 4 x 6+2 pin pci-e. I am looking for modular (or at least semi-modular) in an effort to tidy up the mess that is the bottom of my case, and noise is a factor.

Prices are different over here in Europe but this is my short list:

XFX Pro Black Edition 750W €130 (incl shipping) = $175
Corsair AX760W €140 (incl shipping) = $188
Seasonic X-750 V2 €145 (incl shipping) = $195

I am also open to the idea of these two if they are a better bang per buck:

Seasonic G750 €115 (incl shipping) = $155
Seasonic X-650 V2 €128 (incl shipping) = $172

From what I have read so far I realise that the Corsair and XFX models are basically Seasonic, but which of these that I have listed would you choose, and why?

Any recommendations would be gratefully received!
 
I would wait and see if you can snag one of those on a sale. Otherwise, probably the XFX due to being the cheapest out of all of them that's at the same level.
 
I would do the research at the same time you buy the new hardware. What's recommended now wont be the same thing recommended a year from now. Not to mention for all we know a 650W PSU will be plenty for SLI'd 860s or 870s. We don't have a clue what kind of power requirements they'll need.
 
I would do the research at the same time you buy the new hardware. What's recommended now wont be the same thing recommended a year from now. Not to mention for all we know a 650W PSU will be plenty for SLI'd 860s or 870s. We don't have a clue what kind of power requirements they'll need.

I appreciate that fact, but I'm trying to spread the cost out, and I can afford the psu now, but probably not 2 cards and a psu at the same time. The extra cost of a 750W over a 650W over here is only around $10-15 so I'm happy to go with a 750W....as you say, you never know until the time and I might end up getting used GTX780's to SLI if there are deals to be had, then I'll be glad I covered myself ;)
 
I would wait and see if you can snag one of those on a sale. Otherwise, probably the XFX due to being the cheapest out of all of them that's at the same level.

Unfortunately where I live niche electronics like gaming psu's don't really get holiday discounts....I was leaning towards the XFX but the Corsair 7 year warranty has me tempted...
 
I appreciate that fact, but I'm trying to spread the cost out, and I can afford the psu now, but probably not 2 cards and a psu at the same time. The extra cost of a 750W over a 650W over here is only around $10-15 so I'm happy to go with a 750W....as you say, you never know until the time and I might end up getting used GTX780's to SLI if there are deals to be had, then I'll be glad I covered myself ;)

SLI'd 780s don't require 750W either. They'll consume ~530W under load. Plenty of headroom for a 650W PSU to handle.

1375726087z1HVERqYrr_9_1.gif
 
SLI'd 780s don't require 750W either. They'll consume ~530W under load. Plenty of headroom for a 650W PSU to handle.

1375726087z1HVERqYrr_9_1.gif

For me personally, 60W for the rest of my system is not headroom, it's marginal - just my opinion! I'll stick to 750W for the extra $10....
 
corsair PSUs are great, not going to make a mistake with one

the hx750 which I have for few years (my friend recently bought the same one, they still sell that model) has 62A on a single 12v rail

not sure what the PSUs are like today but at the time I was choosing mine the corsair had by far the most load on 12v rail that GPU uses....most PSUs had more than one rails, so 60A on single rail is better than 30A+30A on two rails

actually in the 21:9 gaming vid on youtube the reviewer runs two titans on corsair hx750 so I guess it must have some power reserves over the 750w


btw I would probably go for hx850, just for a piece of mind for cpu and gpu oc....upgrading from 650w to 750w seems like a waste to me.....the 850w won't cost you more for electricity (it only uses/supplies what the hw asks for) and it will run cooler when not fully utilized
 
Last edited:
The multirail argument has been beaten to death many times. In properly designed power supplies, it's not a hindrance to performance, and in some cases is actually superior due to the greater amount of protections in the circuit.

All good power supplies have headroom. However, you do not want to run your power supply above its max rated specs. That said, two Titans will not max out a 750 watt power supply.
 
For me personally, 60W for the rest of my system is not headroom, it's marginal - just my opinion! I'll stick to 750W for the extra $10....

60W headroom?

650W - 531W = 119W of "headroom" as you want to call it. Also do note that, that system is tested with the exact same CPU overclocked to the same frequency as your CPU; A 3770k @ 4.8Ghz.

Many people and by many people I mean everyone buys more PSU than they need. :rolleyes:
 
corsair PSUs are great, not going to make a mistake with one

the hx750 which I have for few years (my friend recently bought the same one, they still sell that model) has 62A on a single 12v rail

not sure what the PSUs are like today but at the time I was choosing mine the corsair had by far the most load on 12v rail that GPU uses....most PSUs had more than one rails, so 60A on single rail is better than 30A+30A on two rails

actually in the 21:9 gaming vid on youtube the reviewer runs two titans on corsair hx750 so I guess it must have some power reserves over the 750w


btw I would probably go for hx850, just for a piece of mind for cpu and gpu oc....upgrading from 650w to 750w seems like a waste to me.....the 850w won't cost you more for electricity (it only uses/supplies what the hw asks for) and it will run cooler when not fully utilized


You do know that most Corsair units are rebanded PSUs, right?

Also you do know that SLI'd Titans only need 585W.
 
60W headroom?

650W - 531W = 119W of "headroom" as you want to call it. Also do note that, that system is tested with the exact same CPU overclocked to the same frequency as your CPU; A 3770k @ 4.8Ghz.

Many people and by many people I mean everyone buys more PSU than they need. :rolleyes:

I don't know why you want to come at me with an attitude, I simply stated my opinion, as I said (btw you were the one who first used the term headroom, in post #6, so it's as you already called it). My logic is that 650W-590W is 60W, so I'm not sure where you got 531W from?

I did not start this thread to debate how many watts I need/want, I am merely asking for opinions on the psu's that I listed in the OP. If you have any experience with those psu's I would be happy to hear about it....
 
590W is the measurement at the wall. Since they're using a PSU that's ~90% efficient it means the PSU is only delivering ~531W of power to the system. This is where the 531W comes from.

Therefore I do not recommend any of those 750W PSU's, but that Seasonic 650W one I do.
 
590W is the measurement at the wall. Since they're using a PSU that's ~90% efficient it means the PSU is only delivering ~531W of power to the system. This is where the 531W comes from.

Therefore I do not recommend any of those 750W PSU's, but that Seasonic 650W one I do.

Fair enough, that makes sense, but for $3 extra is it not a better deal to get the XFX Pro Black Edition 750W? Is the Seasonic 650W that much better?
 
What price is the Seasonic Platinum 660W to you?

€140 = $188, so the same as the Corsair AX760...to be honest I don't really care about Platinum vs Gold efficiency, for my electricity bill this would be cents per month at most, so I don't feel inclined to pay a premium for a higher efficiency if that is the main difference.

I realise that it might be overkill but I have to say that for the money I am leaning towards the XFX Pro Black Edition 750W - am I right in thinking that it's just a Seasonic X-750W with a different label?
 
It's not about the efficiency with that PSU. It was reviewed as the best PSU ever reviewed by HardOCP.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/03/23/seasonic_xseries_x660_power_supply_review/1#.UoacBMRy2Xo

I'm not trying to be difficult but do you mean this one:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/02/04/seasonic_platinum660_660w_power_supply_review/

The Seasonic X-850 gets a similar review;

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/04/04/seasonic_xseries_x850_power_supply_review/

does that equate for the X-750?
 
Check if the 760XP cost the same, it's basically what the AX760 is but with flat cables for easier cable management. Instead of bundles you can just stack the cables and zip them up. Might sound trivial but it really helps depending on which case you have.

You can't go wrong with any really. They're all reliable power supplies and you'll just have to narrow it down to little details. I personally wouldn't pick the XFX because it wouldn't match any modern computer theme.
 
Yes I meant to post that link. Copied the wrong link.
 
Back
Top